Bausch&Lomb PR-27 microscopy lamp with ribbon filament lamp

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
MicroBob

Bausch&Lomb PR-27 microscopy lamp with ribbon filament lamp

#1 Post by MicroBob » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:07 am

Hi together,
I just bought an old microscopy lamp on ebay: A Bausch & Lomb PR-27, the papa smurf model of the line.
When it arrived I was astonished about the size, ist seems completely out of relation for illuminating microscopic objects! :shock:
The size of the ND filters that came with it should have warned me, they have 3'' diameter.
It is a nice design, all adjustments are made with small knobs that are easy to reach.
As a scale I included into the first pictue what we call in Germany "Zollstock". Independend from the name there is no scale in inches on them but in cm and mm and it has been like this for as long as I live and longer. :lol:
This beast is made from cast aluminium or magnesium and is actually a lot lighter than it looks.
The bulb is huge and is still working. It is a 6V 108W ribbon filament bulb. In 2m distance the lamp projects a narrow bar of light in the shape of the ribbon filament. In the internet I found the information that these lamps are supposed to live only for 20 hours, not much.
The buld seems to be original, there is something printed on them like "microscope bulb" or so.

The choice of bulb puzzles me: The filament is rectangular and either one gets only a narrow strip of light or much of the light source is not used at all.
Does somebody know this lamp and bulb and can tell something about it?

Bob

apochronaut

Re: Bausch&Lomb PR-27 microscopy lamp with ribbon filament lamp

#2 Post by apochronaut » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:51 am

No pictures here but I think you are talking about the NO. 31-33-85-11 Research Lamp? It was designed as a critical illumination illuminator, The condenser is capable of a full 1.4 N.A. of illumination and an iris can be adjusted to match the required N.A. There should be a water cell holder on the front of the instrument with a 3 pack filter holder. The intensity is controlled by placing neutral density filters in the filter holder.

The bulb is 6 volt 108 watt. It needs a transformer and alternating current is recommended.

The illuminator was designed for use with the DDE. The DDE ended up being one of the prime instruments in mid 20th century bacteriology and it and this illuminator were both used by Dr. Max Zelle in his pioneering genetics research.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi Apochronaut,
thank you for your reply!
I actually made photos but forgot to include them. The model number is 31-33-27.
There is a filter holder fitted in front, but no water cell. I have a comprehensive set of nd-filters for it, all glass-metallic filter-glass.
I have to get deeper into the manual to find out how the lamp is to interact with the microscope condenser.

If I had to design a lamp like this I would choose a light source with a shape of the form of the light beam I want, so as close to round as possible. Do you have an idea why they chose a rectangular shape instead?

Can you tell more about the DDE? I have never heard of that.

Bob
Attachments
blpr27-1.jpg
blpr27-1.jpg (362.18 KiB) Viewed 14682 times
blpr27-2.jpg
blpr27-2.jpg (388.25 KiB) Viewed 14682 times
blpr27-3.jpg
blpr27-3.jpg (389.94 KiB) Viewed 14682 times
blpr27-4.jpg
blpr27-4.jpg (364.77 KiB) Viewed 14682 times

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:30 pm

I guess that the "water cell" you refer to serves for cooling. It is a glass flow cell, optically flat, so water flows between two parallel glass walls. It is connected in series with a water pump (peristaltic pump) and a reservoir. Rather than pure water, it is a solution of cupric sulfate, the blue CuSO4. This solution absorbs infrared radiation well. And it quite fungus-immune.

On the other hand, a glass heat filter is much more convenient. For example, a KG5 filtef from Schott.

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:37 am

Hi Doron,
I know that these water cells have been used in projection microscopes with arc lamps. We once had such a projection microscope demonstrated in our microscopy group, but this one had a ca. 20mm thick brown glass filter.

In the meantime I have read the manual. This is an ordinary Köhler lamp but offers an especially wide beam so it will support whatever condenser is used. When I find a bit of f free time I will test it with the ribbon filament lamp and try to find out how well this works.

Bob

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:48 am

I was intrigued by the 'Ribbon Filament' and have just found this reference:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bej ... AJ&pg=PA69

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#7 Post by MicroBob » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:12 am

Hi Michael,
I found this source too, it is where I read about to 20 hours lifetime of the bulbs.
The oldest source mentioning this lamp type was in the 1920s if I remember right.

Typical microscope lamps have a wire filament that is arranged in a flat coil. It would be interesting to know, how they came to the ribbon filament. And why the name Mazda?

Bob

MichaelG.

#8 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:25 am

MicroBob wrote:Hi Michael,
... And why the name Mazda?

Bob
Bob,

Try a Google search for "mazda lamps stay brighter longer"

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#9 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:31 am

MicroBob wrote: ... Typical microscope lamps have a wire filament that is arranged in a flat coil. It would be interesting to know, how they came to the ribbon filament.

Bob
The flat coil packs a long thin wire into a suitably compact shape [low current]
The ribbon is a very short wire in the same overall shape [high current]

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#10 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:38 am

MichaelG. wrote:
MicroBob wrote:Hi Michael,
... And why the name Mazda?

Bob
Bob,

Try a Google search for "mazda lamps stay brighter longer"

MichaelG.
P.S. ... have a look at this [car] page for the Persian god:
https://mazda-classic-frey.de/en/the-mu ... a-history/
Too many 'projects'

apatientspider

#11 Post by apatientspider » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:43 pm

Mazda along with Gem was an old General Electric trademark according to info posted at Steve Neeley's site. https://user.xmission.com/~psneeley/Personal/Bulbs.htm and scroll down. Unfortunately the link he posts to Don's Bulbs and the 1914 catalog is no longer good.

To my knowledge these ribbon filament lamps are no longer made, although occasionally a new/old stock one will turn up on Ebay. They are not in-expensive. If you can find a dimmer switch, rheostat, or potentiometer to use with the bulb, it will substantially lengthen it's life. That would turn it off or on slowly so as to prevent thermal shock to the filament.

Really nice lamp, btw.

Jim Wheeler

wporter

#12 Post by wporter » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:08 pm

Here's an image of the older illuminator that Apochronaut was talking about, the 31-33-85 research model:

research illuminator 31-33-85.png
research illuminator 31-33-85.png (134.6 KiB) Viewed 14604 times

From the ebay listing,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BAUSCH-LOMB-CO ... rk:34:pf:0

The 20 amp transformer in the listing was probably the same one for your PR-27.

MicroBob

#13 Post by MicroBob » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:54 pm

@Michael: Of cause, the ribbon filament was a way to allow much power in a small room. But why so small? Not possible to produce wider, thinner ribbons?
I hope my lamp will be a dependable supply of light, wisdom, intelligence and harmony! :lol:
I knew the car brand but have never heard of the name giving persian god!
@Jim: I think I bought a lamp that is really rare here in Germany since nearly no american microscopy stuff was sold here. I probably won't be able to buy spare bulbs anyway so I probably will convert the lamp to LED. I have converted a lamp for a swiss forensic microscope a while ago, so I'm in training.
@wporter: Thank you for the link. My lamp is probably the later successor and though it is still huge, it is quite nicely shaped and easy to adjust.

MichaelG.

#14 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:38 pm

MicroBob wrote:@Michael: Of cause, the ribbon filament was a way to allow much power in a small room. But why so small? Not possible to produce wider, thinner ribbons?
Putting the question the other way: Why would you want a physically bigger light source ?

MichaelG.
A couple of thoughts, for your contemplation:

1. The theoretically ideal Microscope lamp would contain a point source: Koehler devised his clever system to accommodate the failings of having a source with finite dimensions, but; as you know, we still like to keep the filaments very compact.

2. The ribbon filament bulb was apparently intended as a 'modern alternative' to a carbon arc: The illuminating area is, I think, the smallest practical.

Edit: for convenient reference Koehler/Kohler/Köhler
https://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/ana ... ginal.html
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#15 Post by MicroBob » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:28 am

MichaelG. wrote:Putting the question the other way: Why would you want a physically bigger light source ?
I would like the light source to have the shape of the wanted light beam to avoid stray light, heat and energy consumption.
Maybe they made the ribbon rectangular to make adjustment less critical and reduce production quality demands.

Interesting: Köhler wrote that he tested his lighting apparatus with different light sources, but was unable to test it with electric light as it was not available to hin yet. His illimination method, tough intended for gas lamps and burning magnesium, is still state of the art today!

MichaelG.

#16 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:19 am

MicroBob wrote:
MichaelG. wrote:Putting the question the other way: Why would you want a physically bigger light source ?
I would like the light source to have the shape of the wanted light beam ...
Sorry, Bob ... I think we have different ideas about what constitutes the ideal light source.

MichaelG.
P.S. Do take care of that bulb
https://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lampedw.html
Too many 'projects'

apochronaut

#17 Post by apochronaut » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:36 pm

MicroBob wrote:Hi Apochronaut,
thank you for your reply!
I actually made photos but forgot to include them. The model number is 31-33-27.
There is a filter holder fitted in front, but no water cell. I have a comprehensive set of nd-filters for it, all glass-metallic filter-glass.
I have to get deeper into the manual to find out how the lamp is to interact with the microscope condenser.

If I had to design a lamp like this I would choose a light source with a shape of the form of the light beam I want, so as close to round as possible. Do you have an idea why they chose a rectangular shape instead?

Can you tell more about the DDE? I have never heard of that.

Bob
The water cell was used because wratten filters were the types used in the day the early research illuminator was born.

Hobbyst46

#18 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:05 pm

MicroBob wrote:...I have a comprehensive set of nd-filters for it, all glass-metallic filter-glass.
I never used such illuminator, however I used the HBO-100 with a 100W high pressure Hg arc on microscopes. And they emit a lot of heat. That lamp would destroy reflective ND filters if those are what you have (glass filter, coated with a thin reflective metal coating). Hence I would consider using a heat filter, Schott KG5 or equivalent, or a reflective heat filter (I do not know any specific model) between the lamp and the optical train. Unless, of course, this B&L lamp housing somehow dissipates heat better than the HBO-100 housing.

MichaelG.

#19 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:32 pm

MicroBob wrote: The model number is 31-33-27
Featured on p9 of this brochure: http://earth2geologists.net/Microscopes ... atalog.pdf

... but you probably know all that's in there.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#20 Post by MicroBob » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:57 pm

According to the catalog the lamp was supplied with daylight ans 3 ND filters. So I would expect the filters to withstand what the lamp is able to put out. They are like mirror sunglasses and reflect what doesn't pass through them. This might in part explain the size of the lamp - much of the 108W is locked in the lamp in form of heat.
I will probably use a Cree XHP70 LED in this lamp. With 32W it really makes a lot of light. :D

apochronaut

#21 Post by apochronaut » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:46 pm

The 31-33-85-11 lamp using that bulb was originally designed for critical illumination, not Köhler. That's what Bausch & Lomb says and that it was designed primarily for research purposes, most notably in concert with the B & L DDE microscope, although B & L had a range of microscopes that were capable of carrying their apochromats with grace. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2215&hilit=B+%26+L ... +catalogue.

It seems likely that the filament dimensions allowed not only for a well lit even field via the lamp condenser but also facilitated better oblique lighting, something indispensable for the type of research being carried out with those microscopes.
B & L likely deemed that a broader illumination source than a filament was necessary in order to best fill the total N.A. of their apochromats, and for DF too, something widely used at high magnifications in bacteriological and genetics research at the time. With the PR-27, the modernized successor research illuminator, they kept the same system going, albeit in a more convenient package.

Köhler, really isn't a designed illumination system. it is a condensing and focusing technique with which one can make a bad situation better. A filament lamp source is a poor illumination source for a microscope. In various forms, they just happen to be very cheap and fairly practical but they cannot be used as critical illumination, unlike the sky or a large gas flame. Köhler converts them to being more usable, when a broader, flatter source of illumination focused as critical illumination would in many cases be better. That's why led light sources usually have difficulty in condensing systems designed as Köhler. The forte of leds, lies in using them as critical illumination not as Köhler, since with a properly designed system, it would be unnecessary.

MichaelG.

#22 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:26 pm

apochronaut wrote:The 31-33-85-11 lamp using that bulb was originally designed for critical illumination, not Köhler. That's what Bausch & Lomb says [ ... ]

With the PR-27, the modernized successor research illuminator, they kept the same system going, albeit in a more convenient package.
[ ... ]

Köhler, really isn't a designed illumination system. it is a condensing and focusing technique with which one can make a bad situation better. [ ... ]
I don't have any argument with what you say
... but it's interesting to note that the PR-27 was also described as "ideal for providing Köhler type illumination"
IMG_2394.JPG
IMG_2394.JPG (362.29 KiB) Viewed 14478 times
Was this just a matter of following the trend ?

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#23 Post by MicroBob » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi together,
the DDE is really an impressive instrument!

Here are two images of the ribbon filament focussed on white cardboard 15cm in front of the filter holder. The first is with field aperture wide open, the second fully closed. For oblique lighting this would be just right.

Bob
Attachments
PR27 1.jpg
PR27 1.jpg (350.42 KiB) Viewed 14468 times
PR27 2.jpg
PR27 2.jpg (346.29 KiB) Viewed 14468 times

MichaelG.

#24 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:46 pm

I have been digging around for information about Ribbon Filament lamps ...
This is worth reading, for background:

http://www.extra.research.philips.com/h ... 40-082.pdf

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#25 Post by MicroBob » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:19 pm

This filament type seems to have attractive properties for other scientific purposes beyond simple lighting. So maybe they just asked for a strong microscope bulb and were offered my one for acceptable money or a design and production project for a lot of money.
At 3V the bulb already takes up over 10A. Good low Ohm connections are really necessary!

apochronaut

#26 Post by apochronaut » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:54 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
apochronaut wrote:The 31-33-85-11 lamp using that bulb was originally designed for critical illumination, not Köhler. That's what Bausch & Lomb says [ ... ]

With the PR-27, the modernized successor research illuminator, they kept the same system going, albeit in a more convenient package.
[ ... ]

Köhler, really isn't a designed illumination system. it is a condensing and focusing technique with which one can make a bad situation better. [ ... ]
I don't have any argument with what you say
... but it's interesting to note that the PR-27 was also described as "ideal for providing Köhler type illumination"

IMG_2394.JPG

Was this just a matter of following the trend ?

MichaelG.
Presumably PG stands for Professional General as opposed to PR ; Professional Research? Köhler is just a case of adjusting the illuminator condenser in such a way as to get as distorted an image of the filament as possible at the image plane, in order to broaden and even out it's illuminating charactersitics. B & L does seem to be following a somewhat necessary marketing tact by mentioning Köhler because by the time the coiled filament had invaded the microscope world almost exclusively, the use of Kohler had become a necessary fact of life. In the B & L catalogue, I linked some scans to above, the 31-33-85-11 is specifically referred to as being for critical illumination, whereas in the scan you provide there is mention of critical work. Same bulb. Theoretically, with enough travel in the condenser, you could adjust for critical illumination or köhler at your whim.

Interestingly, Spencer, who made a very parallel line of products; the two companies were only 70 miles apart and no doubt passed employees back and forth a bit, took a very different approach. By the time the 31-33-85-11 B & L 108 watt ribbon filament lamp was out, Spencer , in addition to their electric arc lamp, exclusively used coiled filament bulbs, either 100 watt or 400 watt. In their catalogues, they make no mention of either critical or köhler illumination, just that the condensing apparatus can be used to provide an intense concentrated beam of light suitable for DF work.
Later they produced the model 367 research lamp, which had 100 watts , and a condenser. It had similar characteristics to the B & L version PG 26 but like the older 31-33-85-11, recommended Kodak Wratten filters and had a water cell, protecting the filters , as well as heat sensitive delicate living structures. One key difference was that several of the Spencer illuminators were on poles, so that the entire body of the illuminator could be elevated to be used for incident illumination.
Later yet, Spencer produced a very similar lamp to the PG 26, the 735, also with a coiled filament.
Spencer seldom mentions the concepts of Köhler illumination or critical illumination in their literature. Certainly not in terms of illuminators. The one exception is that they mention it particularly in the case of phase microscopy.

The 6v. 108 watt bulb was probably never very cheap. My last catalogue that I keep for bulb cross references, lists it at 89.50. 50 hour service life.
It is a P28s base, widely used as a projector bulb. 2200 lumens or thereabouts.

billbillt

#27 Post by billbillt » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:20 pm

MichaelG. wrote:I have been digging around for information about Ribbon Filament lamps ...
This is worth reading, for background:

http://www.extra.research.philips.com/h ... 40-082.pdf

MichaelG.
Thanks for the link, Michael..
BillT

MicroBob

#28 Post by MicroBob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:57 pm

I knew I read about the Bausch & Lomb research microscope DDE before and have found the article:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... c-dde.html

I have seen this double column design only on the Steindorf "Mikrobenjäger" ="Microbe Hunter", hm, where have I heard this name again? :lol: .

Bob

apochronaut

#29 Post by apochronaut » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:16 pm

I corresponded with Manuel del Cerro recently, regarding the Bausch & Lomb Balplan, which I believe he used in his own work. He is a retired professor of Opthalmology, U. of Rochester.
Here is a bit of info. about the other double pillar, mirror illuminated research microscope. Scroll to page 17.https://user.xmission.com/~psneeley/Per ... 5-1935.pdf.

MicroBob

#30 Post by MicroBob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:24 pm

Hi Apochronaut,
thank you for the link! This Spencer #8 is really a special microscope. They write that the design goal was to have a microscope with free access to the stage (=collumn on the back). Then they decided they need to have the fine focus adjustment in the front. The mirror hidden below the table and the angle of the binocular tube adjustable. All that in the cast design of a tool machine from 1900!
The brochure is really nice and interesting to read with many design details shown in drawings and very good images. A Spencer #3 or #5 would be a nice work microscope even today.

The double column microscope I had in mind was this:http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... dorff.html

Steindorf never was a high level microscope maker. They sold robust but simple microscopes mainly to doctor's offices. Then they made that "Mikrobenjäger" with extravagant design and a 6-hole nosepiece imitating a high performance research instrument. They even sold a couple of them.

Bob