Rheinberg lighting

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
RobBerdan

Rheinberg lighting

#1 Post by RobBerdan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:10 am

Rheinberg lighting is cheap and easy to try. Rheinberg filters are named after Julius Rheinberg who proposed his Multiple Colour Illumination Method to increase contrast of unstained specimens in microscopy in 1896 at a Quekett Microscopical meeting. A set of Rheinberg filters can be purchased on E-bay starting around $25 and you can easily make them your self with coloured acetate or a colour laser printer.

I even use Rheinberg lighting in combination with DIC on my research quality Zeiss Axioscope.

I posted a short article about these filters on my web site for those interested:
https://www.canadiannaturephotographer. ... s2017.html
Attachments
Rheinberge filters made from plastic purchased on ebay.
Rheinberge filters made from plastic purchased on ebay.
Rheinberg_filters_DSC6328.jpg (124.57 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
Water bear with Rheinberg lighting and DIC lighting.
Water bear with Rheinberg lighting and DIC lighting.
rberdan_19.jpg (331.96 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
Series of Rheinberge filters place them under your condenser or on the light source - you may have to adjust the height of the filters for optimum results.
Series of Rheinberge filters place them under your condenser or on the light source - you may have to adjust the height of the filters for optimum results.
Rheinberg_filters_comparision.jpg (265.19 KiB) Viewed 4268 times

wstenberg

Re: Rheinberg lighting

#2 Post by wstenberg » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:36 am

Great article with useful links.
Might have to give this a try.

Thanks!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

TareqPhoto

Re: Rheinberg lighting

#3 Post by TareqPhoto » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:59 pm

I have this, full set ordered from eBay, just i will need time to experiment with it more.