PZO Phaco condenser on Leitz?

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
dlthomas

PZO Phaco condenser on Leitz?

#1 Post by dlthomas » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:18 pm

Hi everyone! I have recently acquired a few Leitz phaco objectives to use on my "new" Ortholux. I have never done phase contrast but want to try. Some Polish PZO phase condensers are on ebay for much more affordable prices that the Leitz. DOES ANYONE KNOW if it is feasible to adapt one of these PZO's to the leitz condenser holder and use it? Thanks for your thoughts...Don

PeteM

Re: PZO Phaco condenser on Leitz?

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:26 pm

Don't know, but would think it unlikely for two reasons.

First is mounting it. The only PZO condenser I own is a DIC unit and it required machining a round dovetail adapter to mount to Olympus or Nikon microscopes. Depending upon what Ortholux, your condenser mount might be an even more specialized rectangular dovetail?

Second reason is that there is no standard for the annular ring size in phase apertures. It's pretty much a matter of luck (or a low cost manufacturer copying) to have one brand's condenser annuli precisely match up with another brand's phase objectives. You can sometimes get a phase image if they're close, but it won't be optimal.

There are Leitz condensers which take a slider with one or two annuli installed. If your Ortholux will take one of these you might more easily find something under $200?