Interesting DIY phase contrast

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Rossf

Interesting DIY phase contrast

#1 Post by Rossf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:53 am

Has anyone seen this article?
https://www.micromagus.net/microscopes/diyphase.html
Talks about converting normal objectives to phase by depositing candle wick soot in different shapes (circle,stripe,typical phase plate shape) either on back objective element or round coverslip that fits into back of objective with corresponding annulus shapes at bottom of condenser-some interesting results-kinda Lo-Fi looking but very earthy looking too with the ochre coloured background-will have to try this when I have time-especially the stripe-gives some nice oblique effects as well....tried to find if this has been posted before but oodles of DIY DIC posts to go through...

photomicro

Re: Interesting DIY phase contrast

#2 Post by photomicro » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:57 am

Yes, Graham is very good at making things for his microscopes.

In the early days of Phase, when manufactured systems were difficult to obtain in the UK, and expensive too, a number of folk experimented. A quite comprehensive article of over 10 pages was published in 'The Microscope' in 1947 by Michael V salmon, entitled;

'Practical phase-contrast microscopy'

It includes a good introduction, with a historical survey and a description of the apparatus he used to make the discs and slits.

Rossf

#3 Post by Rossf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:59 pm

Thanks photomicro-that sounds like an interesting read-necessity really is the mother of invention...I’ve thought about different shaped waveplates before-like maybe zig zag,oval,line,square etc and what the effect would be-
Regards ross

daruosha

#4 Post by daruosha » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:58 am

I have a set of cheap DIN objectives and I'm very tempted to do an experiment. Are there any data on thickness and diameter of the ring?
Daruosh.

Rossf

#5 Post by Rossf » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:59 am

Not that I know of Doruosha-check the article I think it was very experimental which can be fun with the right mindset-the stripe sounds the easiest to start with-that’s what I’ll start with when I get round to it..