DIY phase is hard.

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
BramHuntingNematodes

DIY phase is hard.

#1 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:52 am

Building a phase plate is tricky business. First part is the material. Mica is easy enough to find, but getting just the right thickness and a uniform surface is less straightforward than you might imagine, even though it does cleave neatly into sheets.

I tried to think of many ways to cut a neat ring, from hole punches, to lathe cutting, to die-cutting and finally resorted to these cheap annular punches. I think a better solution would be to get some wave plate film and use a cutting plotter such as a cricut machine so that you could try out different sizes easily. The punches work OK, but introduce some distortion while cutting and are somewhat difficult to obtain concentricity with. I cleaned this one up a little before mounting.

Voila. The punches are in the background. I used a broken coverslip as the mounting plate. Static electricity held the ring on pretty well. This was a 10x achromat objective so this is actually pretty close to the back focal plane of this one. Believe it or not, some phase contrast was acheived with this one. It's not exactly a quarter wave, and there was not very much amplitude dimming, also the wave plate itself scattered some light, but the phase was there I tell you! You got to believe me!!

Anyway, if you've never used real phase contrast before, I would give it a try. It's great, and pictures alone don't really capture how much the contrast twinkles and catches the eye. I was lucky enough to find what appears to be a complete B&L set, the early one with annular filters rather than a turret. It's really a fantastic set, with a low NA centerable condenser with the giant filter slot, phase achromats in 10x, 21x, 43x, a green Kodak filter, and even the telescope:

I hadn't seen one before this, so here it is for reference. If you like to fiddle with settings a lot, using this set with a mirror and separate illuminator is the best.

damn overexposed!

I would say that the filter doesn't really help a whole lot for three reasons, 1: the 50s-60s era B&L achromats are pretty darn good 2: I am already using a much cooler, green light heavy LED lamp than the halogens or whatever that this set had in mind and 3: there isn't really a lot of color to begin with in these samples.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

MicroBob

Re: DIY phase is hard.

#2 Post by MicroBob » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:15 am

Hi Bram,
interesting project! Somewhere in the internet there is the homepage of an Italian who painted phase rings on the back lens, I think with a sharpie.

Bob

BramHuntingNematodes

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:21 am

Mm, yes. I seem to recall that one and also the candle soot project. There was some debate there as to whether there was any phase contrast or merely amplitude contrast. Turns out that the amplitude contrast, alone or as a complement to the phase contrast, really helps the image. My mica ring had none and couldn't take sharpie or magic marker and the results suffered from it I think.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:32 pm

Might be able to section ultra thin sections of various circular objects. Different diameters and wall thicknesses of various formulations of plastic tubing etc. If you had a microtome. The annulus need not be visible and there are many versions of phase. Unfortunately we have just defaulted to mostly dark medium, so that's the prevaiant model.

Do you know anyone that can blow absolutely perfect smoke rings? There used to be lots of those clowns around. Clamp their head in a vice and set the objective in front of their mouth. Might need some d.i.y. precision adjustment but they need the head vice treatment anyway.

BramHuntingNematodes

#5 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:46 pm

You know, I didn't think about that, and I do have a microtome. I will need to get a glass cutter for it though. That seems like a good way to get a uniform thickness with micron accuracy.

I recollect your excellent posts about some of the different approaches to phase. I hope that if I could somehow successfully produce a DM phase plate then I would also be able to try others.

Rossf

#6 Post by Rossf » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:44 am

Looks good BramHuntingNematodes..looks a bit like the Nikon DLL phase type- must be DIY phase day-I’ve been messing with the sooted phase technique today-I’m so cheap I got the circular cover slips by boiling some prepped slides til the glue disintegrated-My scope is only 20w and think need stronger light for better results-for the round plate (not donut shaped) I just found a washer the same size and held them together as I burnt my fingers as I passed it through the flame to get a circle in the middle-not sure it was true phase but looked interesting and only had to closedown the condenser to just inside the circle for the effect-look forward to your further experiments and photos!
Regards Ross