Best illumination strategy for non transparent spherules?

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Kees

Best illumination strategy for non transparent spherules?

#1 Post by Kees » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:18 pm

Hello all,
as a newbe in the microscopic world i need some help ore advice by illuminating small spherules.

I have a basic compound Euromex biological scope with 10x ocular, 4x and 10x objectives, a lamp on the base and a diaphragm.
the Spherules ore non transparent and have mostly a crystallized surface.

I know already that illumination is a key factor to get a good image. And my final goal is to make a nice picture with focus-stacking. Camera and stage control is under control.

But how to illuminate these spherules? Do i have to go for a led ring fixed on the objective, coaxial light system, two cold light led goose necks, ore something else, like a combination??

All help and suggestions is welkom.

Thanks in advance!

Kees.

Kees

Re: Best illumination strategy for non transparent spherules?

#2 Post by Kees » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:46 am

I Forgot to mention the size of the spherules. Most of them are between 200 and 400 micrometer.

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:12 am

Kees wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:46 am
I Forgot to mention the size of the spherules. Most of them are between 200 and 400 micrometer.
Should be pretty easy at that scale ... on-axis or off-axis incident illumination according to the nature of the surface-detail that you wish to observe.

You may find this of interest:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9722&p=83121&hilit=1933#p83121

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:45 am

This post, about DIY incident LED illumination of objects of similar size as you mention, may be relevant
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504&p=66513&hilit=strip#p66513

DonSchaeffer

#5 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:10 pm

The problem with this kind of subject is going to be focus as much as lighting. The range of focus for high powered lenses is going to be very narrow.

Kees

#6 Post by Kees » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 pm

Thanks, for the link. I can now work out something.
Focus is indeed a key factor as well. That i will solve by a stepper-motor on the stage and focus-stacking photography.

Greg Howald

#7 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:52 pm

I had a similar problem recently. It was difficult to use incidental lighting using the higher level objectives. I couldn't seem to get enough light at the correct angle into the objective lens for illumination. A lot of the people in the forum are science people who are well educated and have lots of experience with microscopes.
Sorry. I don't fit into that category. I'm a trial and error guy who just figured out what works for me. A lot of trials don't work and some do. Finding a solution is therefore a celebratory moment for me.
Here's something you can try. It worked for me. I don't know why. Maybe I just got lucky.
I placed a small mirror under the specimen on the stage. This resulted in more light getting into the objective by reflection, and I had good result.
Good luck.
Greg

dtsh

#8 Post by dtsh » Tue May 03, 2022 2:27 pm

Kees wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 pm
Thanks, for the link. I can now work out something.
Focus is indeed a key factor as well. That i will solve by a stepper-motor on the stage and focus-stacking photography.
If you can tie stepper motor control and camera control together it's a dream; line things up, start the code, and come back later to see the results. I really need to get back to my project on automating my AO10; been idle waiting for me to get around to making some drive wheels out of polyeurethane.
What are you using to control your steppers?