Hello Everyone

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
catherine

Hello Everyone

#1 Post by catherine » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:27 pm

Hello everyone,

I am not a fully committed microbe hunter and I don't have a microscope other than a joke children's toy pocket microscope.
It is a hobby I have been considering pursuing but I think it could become to expensive for me and I do not have formal scientific education.

Microbes are interesting to me. Their role in the digestive system is one the things I find interesting about them.

I found this (picture attached) today and wanted to find a website to talk about on.

It's not a picture taken from a microscope, evidently. Sorry for the poor quality picture.

Does anyone have any idea about this organism?
Attachments
20161220_123713 (2).jpg
20161220_123713 (2).jpg (251.51 KiB) Viewed 5042 times

apochronaut

Re: Hello Everyone

#2 Post by apochronaut » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:05 pm

welcome.. some of the toy microscopes can be surprisingly good. most of the members here, I'm sure began on one pretty similar.
your picture looks like it might be some species of rhizopus mold.

lScopysScopegScope

#3 Post by lScopysScopegScope » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:43 pm

I don't know what that is but it looks interesting. Can I ask what part of the world you found it in? It looks wet.

I wouldn't discount microscopy without a formal science education, it's not a necessity. If you're interested in the material then def go for it. There are some decent cheap scopes, even "kiddy" scopes that are good starts.

catherine

#4 Post by catherine » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:09 pm

Thank you for the responses

I am in england

Its an interesting story, I was cleaning my garden which our pet dogs use for a toilet. This is actually a picture of one of their's excrement.

There were many of these around the garden but this was the worst of the batch.

The interesting part is that one of our dogs recently had surgery and has been on a course of antibiotics.

I think the antibiotics has wiped out most of the other species of microbes in the dogs cut flora leaving this one to flourish in her excrement.

The weather here has been pretty mild this winter.

This almost looked like it could grow legs any minute and walk off, haha

gekko

#5 Post by gekko » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:35 pm

Welcome, Catherine. I agree that neither formal education nor an expensive microscope are necessary to enjoy many hours of microscopy fun. I hope your dog recovers well.

Peter

#6 Post by Peter » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:49 pm

Hi Catherine,
It has been my observation that excrement in damp conditions often grows mold.
Peter.

lScopysScopegScope

#7 Post by lScopysScopegScope » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Closest I could find with a quick search.
https://www.shroomery.org/5276/What-are ... om-culture
posibly?
Look at the second image set, first two pictures. Or search for keywords cottony mycelium dactylium in image search.
Good luck.

charlie g

#8 Post by charlie g » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:16 pm

Welcome to forum. Catherine...bravo IScopy..your link seems exactly what is flourishing on the dung.

Your context about your pooches course of antibiotics changing it's microbiom is very apt for views of this scat growth,Catherine.

As has been said so far..enjoy your tastes of microscopy world, just as you would your garden, your walks to bird watch..it's an enhancement of our wonderful surroundings. Being in UK..you have all sorts of low cost starter microscopes. Happy Holidays. charlie guevara, finger lakes/US.