Hello! New from Houston

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
mpaterso

Hello! New from Houston

#1 Post by mpaterso » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:30 pm

Hello! I'm brand new to microscopy, by which I mean that I had a small, cheap microscope in my early teens, and now that I'm almost 50, it's time for a second one :)
I've learned a lot from the many wonderful YouTube videos by MicrobeHunter, and reading topic on this site, and have bought a Cambridge/Reichert/AO 410 off Ebay. I'll be looking the little natural pond we have in the back garden as soon as it arrives to see what we can find.

I do have a couple of questions about the scope. This 410 model has the dual binocular heads (an extra binocular head on a tube extending from the primary head), which is what I wanted, since a primary motivation is to share this experience in real-time. I've had no difficulty finding the general manual for the 410, but I have not found anything specific on how the dual head setup works. Do both heads view at the same time? Is there a cutover mechanism from one to the other like there is with the trinocular version? If both heads do view at the same time, then presumably the images will be dimmer, in which case I might prioritize doing one of the excellent LED upgrades described on the forums.

Second, if I want to use a USB insert camera, it seems like I'd get more light if I could take off the second head and put the camera directly in the connecting tube, versus removing an eyepiece from the second head and using that slot. Can the connecting tube be used like this?

Any inputs appreciated!