Hello from sunny Oregon

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Greg Howald

Hello from sunny Oregon

#1 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:23 pm

I have looked forward to joining the forum for some time but am just now getting to it. I started this hobby two and a half years ago and am really into it. Last year while speaking with my brother in Tennessee I discovered that he is into it as well and we converse daily concerning it. He advises me concerning science issues and I advise him about the use of the scopes.
i own several scopes but generally use only four of them and may wind up using all four of them in a single day. the lab i have is small but packed. I have to clean up often. If there is one thing out of place the whole room looks like a train wreck and I keep adding stuff but for some strange reason my wife just won't let me take over the living room. I enjoy the hobby very much and really like the videos posted on microbe hunter.
I can probably answer any questions people may have concerning the use or operations of the scopes.
I hope you have a great day.
Greg

Rapidray

Re: Hello from sunny Oregon

#2 Post by Rapidray » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Looking forward to seeing your scopes. In the My Microscope section.
OMAX M83

Bemoc

#3 Post by Bemoc » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:49 am

Hi Greg, welcome and I will gladly take you up on your offer of telling me how to use my microscope. The one I am struggling with today is listed here, https://imgur.com/a/ns7wbwl along with my use questions - they are the photo captions. I warn you though, it is strictly newbie territory. I am curious to know what microscopes you see, so will stay tuned.

Rossf

#4 Post by Rossf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:39 pm

Hello Greg Howald from sunny Oregon-glad you joined the community-how nice to discover your bother is into microscopy as well and sounds like the both of you will be able to fill in each other’s knowledge gaps, yours more scope specific and his more science specific. Sounds like a great combination! Is he a microbiologist? And what do you like to do with your scope? Areas of interest?
Regards Ross

Greg Howald

#5 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:38 am

Hi Ross. Turns out my brother and I share interests. He has been into mineralogy for years and he finally got around to buying himself a petrographic microscope and started asking questions about how to use it when out of the blue I came home one day to find the same model scope on my front porch. Its a good trade off. He teaches me about mineralogy while I teach him my tricks using the scope. I've always been more into biology so we're doing that together too. Right now we are both setting up microcosm aquariums to grow pond critters over the winter and there will also be some work with growing things from seed. Turns out it's also possible to do a little bit of DNA work and genetics.
All of this should get us both through a covid 19 winter without too much cabin fever.
Greg

Greg Howald

#6 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:17 am

This reply for post no. 3.
In the time line of microscopy, your scope is definitely Before Common Era. It is before there was Nikon. The design was eventually taken in by Nikon in their early days.
Your scope is unique. The mounting block for the illuminator has been rotated out of place. That old fashioned cord connection should stick straight out in front of the scope and not be at an angle. See if you can loosen that mount on the base of the scope to straighten it. You have an early on condenser As well. This looks like the type of condenser with a swing out lens on the bottom. This may seem baffling but that early design had a purpose. Current thinking is that use of the condenser diaphragm and a field diaphragm should be sufficient to adjust contrast at higher magnifications.
However, swinging in that lens at higher magnification actually reduces the n/a of the condenser to make it easier to adjust contrast. It should be killer for dark field at 40x and maybe even 100x without oil on the condenser lens. You can also improve contrast by lowering the condenser. That feature on your microscope should make others envious even though it's old school. Although the swing out lens is not available on current scopes it is possible to achieve the same effect with a 10x magnification watch face lens placed in the swing out filter holder on modern scopes.
You have a jewel to hang on to. Good choice.
Greg

Greg Howald

#7 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:19 am

This reply for post no. 3.
In the time line of microscopy, your scope is definitely Before Common Era. It is before there was Nikon. The design was eventually taken in by Nikon in their early days.
Your scope is unique. The mounting block for the illuminator has been rotated out of place. That old fashioned cord connection should stick straight out in front of the scope and not be at an angle. See if you can loosen that mount on the base of the scope to straighten it. You have an early on condenser As well. This looks like the type of condenser with a swing out lens on the bottom. This may seem baffling but that early design had a purpose. Current thinking is that use of the condenser diaphragm and a field diaphragm should be sufficient to adjust contrast at higher magnifications.
However, swinging in that lens at higher magnification actually reduces the n/a of the condenser to make it easier to adjust contrast. It should be killer for dark field at 40x and maybe even 100x without oil on the condenser lens. You can also improve contrast by lowering the condenser. That feature on your microscope should make others envious even though it's old school. Although the swing out lens is not available on current scopes it is possible to achieve the same effect with a 10x magnification watch face lens placed in the swing out filter holder on modern scopes.
You have a jewel to hang on to. Good choice.
Greg

Bemoc

#8 Post by Bemoc » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:13 am

wow Greg thank you! I sure would like to know how you learned all of that, please PM if you have a reference for me.

Ohhhh, that bottom swing out is for a LENS! I was thinking for a filter, but there was a gap leftover I was puzzled by. I wish I already knew more! The retired doctor I bout this from said it was a "stereoscopic, backlit" microscope but that doesn't sound right does it?

I wonder, then, if any added filters would go it that sliding out try thing? I can't see how. I am itching to try darkfield, and see that these stops can be printed on a 3D printer, in exact emulation of the OEM set, but I need to decide first how to get just the right objectives and eyepieces. Under very close examination, they have a small touch of mold forming.

I almost have to sell it, unless I decide it is the ONE microscope I take with me for two years mobile across the Americas. I think I almost have decided that this is the one, but need to get all the parts and pieces together before it is final. I want to see what it will cost for two objectives, a phase set up, and the darkfield stuff. I am searching high and low.