Hello from England

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
westy

Hello from England

#1 Post by westy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:39 pm

Hello to the Forum from rainy old England!

First of all, the last time I even touched a microscope let alone looked in the eyepiece of one was probably 15-16 years ago when I was in school! However the intrigue of being able to see things that you normally can't in the world around you never left me and after all this time I finally bit the bullet yesterday and bought a microscope (Swift SW350B) some blank slides and a few other things like stains on Amazon.

I'm currently also doing a Chemistry degree with the OU in England and this is partially why I bought the scope (to analyse crystal structures and grain boundaries in compounds and metals). However after an evening of watching Olivers videos I can't wait to start looking at other things like cell structures of plants and animals and living organisms I might find in local rivers and ponds as well!

I am a complete novice when it comes to this hobby and look forward to grazing this forum to look for interesting ideas on things to stick under the scope. I will also doubtless be posting plenty of dumb questions in the newbies section.

I also hope in time I can contribute back to the community and share photos of interesting observations I make, or just pictures I'm particularly proud of!
Ben

tabkiel

Re: Hello from England

#2 Post by tabkiel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:12 pm

Hey Ben!!

Welcome to the forum! I'm a bit new to the hobby as well, but this forum has helped me so much!! Hope you can enjoy it as well :D

If you wanna look at microscopic friends under the microscope, I strongly suggest looking in ponds or lakes. Under leaves, near the roots of plants or rotten sticks is where you'll find the good stuff. Still water is best and from my experience it doesn't have to smell exactly good, though there might be more biodiversity in cleaner waters (I wouldn't know).

Hope this helps!!

~ Tenshi
This is my 'spirit', my 'intellect'. I am alive.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:18 am

Welcome. Chemical crystals are very cool - I suspect you'll become a resident expert before long.

HPulchripes

#4 Post by HPulchripes » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:45 am

your post could well have been written by me, only difference i went for the sw380b and relearning bacteriology and mycology. There was no t'internet when i was at school or digital cameras. and as its lockdown 2 or 3 i thought i get back into it as a hobby.

Also England - Berks