Another oregonian

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
lumonicphoto

Another oregonian

#1 Post by lumonicphoto » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:52 pm

Hi, Jerry from the Beaverton area. I am a test engineer at ESI, I design and build test fixtures for the machines we build, laser micro machining systems and mlcc testers, mostly.

Two main scopes I have are my Hitachi S-450 SEM and my Zeiss OPMI 1, I also have a setup where I can mount MPlan objectives to my Nikon 200mm macro on my 5D Mark III.

Little bit about my SEM:

https://hackaday.io/project/3281-hitach ... microscope

Nothing special about the OPMI, other then it being the best stereoscope I have ever used. ;)

I also got a Nikon optiphot 66 yesterday.

75RR

Re: Another oregonian

#2 Post by 75RR » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:59 am

lumonicphoto wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:52 pm
Two main scopes I have are my Hitachi S-450 SEM and my Zeiss OPMI 1
Not many people can say that! Welcome
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:48 pm

Welcome , and thanks for insight to how high-tech microscopy techs get excellent sourced microscopy gear for home usage. Please share with us in forum, are the high vacum systems, and the err..sputter coating system safe at a home lab, as a home tank of compressed propane for a patio barbeque grill? Or do you need strict control over who enters your home SEM lab?

Please share what your home-setup SEM activity will be? thanks , and welcome to forum, charlie guevara

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:07 pm

Welcome.

That SEM seems very cool. There's at least one other member here with one - hope to hear more about it.

Agree on the OPMI-1. Mine had completely delaminated eyepieces - but once those were replaced it gave outstanding views.

lumonicphoto

#5 Post by lumonicphoto » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:57 am

Yeah, there are a handful of us with SEMs but they are not for the technically challenged. I have done a bunch to this unit, I had to replace the turbo recently when the old one's bearings started becoming unhappy. A friend has a few SEMs in his garage in various states of operation.

We found this SEM on cragislist of all places, picked it up and had to do a repair on the high voltage power supply for the secondary electron detector. You can fid quite a few of them surplus as places get newer ones with better features. But like I said, you need to be able to work with vacuum systems and high voltage as well as a pretty decent knowledge of analog and digital electronics. There is very little support for these machines.

I actually dont use a sputter coater, you dont actually need one for a lot of imaging. If you do choose to go that route you will need to have a bottle of argon gas as that is what is ionized for the sputter gun to work. You can also do evaporative coatings, gold, gold alloys, and carbon are used. I built a mini vacuum system for carbon coating as you need that for doing EDX work.

No, you dont need to restrict access, there is nothing dangerous about a SEM, one in operating condition is completely safe. Vibration is an issue though, mine sits in the corner of the living room on carpet, I can start running into issue with vibration when I get in the 10-40000x range. Wood floors are not the most conducive to low vibration environments!

I use it here and there, I have EDX on it so I can do elemental analysis of materials with it, but that takes LN2 to make it work so I have to go fill up my big dewar when I plan on using that. I used it now and then when I was working for a diabetes research company working on glucose detection electrodes. Mostly it just sits though.