Reintroduction

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
nucleoPhil

Reintroduction

#1 Post by nucleoPhil » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:22 pm

Hi everyone
I created this account here a couple years back and was never really active but now that I've had more free time and a decent DSLR my microbehunting hobby has been rekindled!

It started as a way for me to better ID mushrooms but I've been exploring beyond that domain more recently.

I work in ecological restoration so I'm always finding fun new locations to sample. It has been a hobby for me at the moment but if I could integrate what I learn to assessing ecosystems that sounds really exciting.

Nice to meet you all again!
Joey H

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCV6AP ... nkDgHVZLUw

iNat:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observation ... fiable=any

Element 56

Re: Reintroduction

#2 Post by Element 56 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:22 am

Hi Joey,
Welcome back! You have some nice videos thanks for sharing them.
Kirby

Rossf

#3 Post by Rossf » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:05 pm

Hi nucleoPhil-nice dark field footage-especially the big colony of voticella on duckweed-do you use a dry or wet dF condenser?
Regards Ross

nucleoPhil

#4 Post by nucleoPhil » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:54 am

Thanks Kirby! :D

Ross, I'm not sure what the difference is but I am currently using brightfield condenser with Oliver's custom filter design. I found some projection film that fits between the filter ring and can glue aluminum cutouts to it to give a totally dark background. Works great! Actually though that Vorticella video I believe I just used the shadow from the filter holder ring to get a darker bg :lol:

dF does help me to pick up on some otherwise difficult to spot microbes but I guess that it decreases resolution. Typically I pull out the filter when I use a higher mag. It's nice not having to switch out condensers!

Rossf

#5 Post by Rossf » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:49 pm

Well done then! Dark field has its own magic about it-especially for aquatic microbes..
Have fun regards ross