Hello

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
john

Hello

#1 Post by john » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:06 am

As I approach my third score of life, I'm acquiring some of the toys I wanted but didn't get or couldn't justify earlier and as time and money permits, I'm trying to provide myself with something to keep me sane when I can't work any longer. I've. been lurking on this forum for a couple years and really appreciate the new format. I have a Spencer 33 with a mechanical stage, iris diaphragm, 3X eyepiece and 10X,43X and 95X objectives. Unfortunately, the mirror is missing. Are there any used parts dealers for this, or I have thought of buying a complete scope and making one from two, hopefully adding to my optics selection. I welcome any thoughts you may have. John

Charles

Re: Hello

#2 Post by Charles » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:18 am

Hi John and welcome.

For your Spencer, you could just use a light under the condenser/stage like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Optica ... 339091de30 or use some other light source which fits directly under the scope like LED. There are substage mirrors but you would need to ensure it fits your scope. The post diameters and lengths may vary on some . If you are in the US, I have a lot of AO/Spencer parts and probably a mirror in there somewhere. Of course you could buy another complete scope but then you end up like some of us, where we can't quit.
Here is an inexpensive one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1930s-A ... 5#shpCntId

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:32 am

Welcome John. Can't help with your questions but look forward to your continued experiences with this fascinating hobby.

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:53 pm

Welcome, John.

john

#5 Post by john » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:48 pm

Thanks for your replies. I just ordered the light. I bought the scope on ebay a couple years ago,but am just now getting around to gathering some of the other items. I ordered some blank slides and a dissecting kit from HomeScienceTools, maybe in a few days I can finally use it. I've tried it with a slide I cut from window glass, and really like it compared to the Gilbert I had as a kid. Its starting to feel like Christmas in June! I'm sure I'll be back to bug you with more silly questions. Charles, I contacted the seller for the light about parts, they have the mirror and are shipping with the light. Didn't get the name of their company, but the were great to talk to and I'll see how it all comes together. John

candylion

#6 Post by candylion » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:47 am

Welcome John, hope you enjoy your time here.

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:56 pm

I echo all of the above...... You mentioned your microscope having a 3X eyepiece. These are very uncommon , although Spencer did have a small bore projection eyepiece used for polarization work, marked 3X. If there is a 3 marked on it, and no X, it likely indicates that it is a #3 eyepiece, which was a nomenclature used prior to the now common 5x,10x etc. Usually , a #3 eyepiece designates that it is a 10x.