Hello from Italy, physics teacher, beginner to amateur microscopy

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
caminante

Hello from Italy, physics teacher, beginner to amateur microscopy

#1 Post by caminante » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:42 pm

Hi I am new in this world of microscopy, I start a week ago observing protists in pond water and take measure of little stuffs here in my home... I also teach physics and maths for teenagers.

A good site in italian is http://www.funsci.it/indice-microscopia.html

Thanks in advance to all esperta for every help that you will give me.

Rossf

Re: Hello from Italy, physics teacher, beginner to amateur microscopy

#2 Post by Rossf » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:39 pm

Salve caminante! Soil and water protist are such a great way to start an interest in microscopy-and live ones, not dead ones on prepared slides (just my opinion)...and you can do all this without having to get into sophisticated techniques. You are going to or already have met some ameboid organisms-here is a fantastic website with lots of info and more importantly great photos of all types of ameboids-

https://www.arcella.nl/

check out the testate amaobae section-they build the most beautiful little cocoons to protect themselves made from all sort of materials-some out of dead diatoms arranged like roofing shingles! -there is a “my microscope’ section here where people like to show off what microscope they are using. Have you got a way to photograph things? even a cheap smart phone microscope adapters can be useful-and you can post photos in the “identification’ sectiom where a lot of very smart people will help you identify what you have photographed.
It is good to have a wholesome hobby. Have fun and you will learn a lot.
Ciao Rosario (Ross)

Rapidray

Re: Hello from Italy, physics teacher, beginner to amateur microscopy

#3 Post by Rapidray » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:04 pm

Welcome to the forum. Great to see many new people here.
OMAX M83