Hello from Delta/Surrey Canada

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
rocky9

Hello from Delta/Surrey Canada

#1 Post by rocky9 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:40 pm

Hello from Delta/Surrey British Columbia Canada.

I have a stereo microscope. It had no brand when i bought it from former Vancouver Telescopes and Microscopes 1o years ago.
i used it primariy in my school classroom for students to use with bugs leaves and rocks

I found that waiting their turn to view the images really stilted the flow and the student eager crowding was problematic
So then I purchased a small digital camera that used a large computer screen. Then the students could share the images more readily. A great success!!!

I am retired from classroom teaching and want to explore using a fuji X Pro 2 camera to my unit.
The former company that sold the microscope has closed as far as I am able to determine.
so I will initially be seeking assistance with the camera mounting and lighting set up

what a thrill to be able to connect with all of you . I know you will be a wealth of ideas and support

Keep safe during these times and talk with you later

perrywespa

Re: Hello from Delta/Surrey Canada

#2 Post by perrywespa » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:55 pm

Welcome, Rocky. There are many knowlegeable and friendly people on the forum willing to help. If you haven't done this yet, searching the forum for your topic will likely produce a lot of useful material.
Perry
Insatiably curious.

MikeBradley

#3 Post by MikeBradley » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:06 am

Rock9, welcome to the forum. I'm based on the Sunshine Coast and I knew the old Vancouver Telescopes. The business restructured a few years ago and now operates as Markarian Fine Optics on Kingsway. One of the original owners is still involved and so is the optical technician.

https://markarianfineoptics.ca/

Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

Greg Howald

#4 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:24 am

Welcome. It's nice to have some one on board from Beautiful British Columbia.
Your post leaves me with questions concerning your camera situation and suggestions for lighting.
To begin with I don't know if your scope is trinocular for a separate camera mount, or binocular where you mount the camera at the eyepiece.
If the camera has a c mount you can easily purchase an adaptor for that. Amscope sells one for about $40 U.S.

Eyepiece tubes are usually either 30mm or 30.5mm inside diameter and there are camera adaptors for that which reduce the diameter to 23mm for camera mount.

So far as lighting is concerned you can spend hundreds of dollars for that or get very good results for $45.
I spent hundreds for my stereo scope and then use LED desk lamps for both base and incidental lighting. The lamps have three different brightness levels and light is well diffused. Fixtures are 4 inches in diameter so it made a great and level base light.
I posted a picture of the setup in a reintroduction post and you can go to that post to see the photo. It is located in the introduce yourself section in the forum and you can find it easily.
If that is not suitable, a base lamp will cost about 140 dollars. Incidental light in about 110, and ring lights vary greatly. All are available at Amscope and other popular dealers.
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with it.
Don't act right away on what I have told you here. There are lots of really experienced people on the forum who may give better advice than I can.
Take care, Greg