Introduction

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
sgraff

Introduction

#1 Post by sgraff » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:42 pm

Greetings. My name is Steve Graff. I'm an elementary gifted/science teacher. I teach at Charles Street School in Palmyra, NJ. My classroom focus is to help my students think both creatively and scientifically. I use science as a foundation to explore the local environment and to reflect on that environment through writing and art. I use microscopes in the classroom---though right now, with remote learning as the method for teaching, I have done virtual microscopy using a cheap Celestron imager purchased on Ebay for $50. For the price, it is an amazing accessory.
WIN_20201028_08_49_25_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201028_08_49_25_Pro.jpg (144.46 KiB) Viewed 1891 times

Greg Howald

Re: Introduction

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:51 pm

That's a really good photo from a $50.00 camera.
I am more into botany and mineralogy than pond water microbes. What am I looking at?
Welcome to the forum.
There are people here with years of experience. Lean on them when you need to.
They will be more than happy to be helpful.
Greg

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:18 pm

Greetings.

What ages do you teach? I've started a kids' science program ("Micronauts") locally and am always interested in swapping teaching ideas -- and especially how to stimulate both curiosity and a bit of grit and determination. The curiosity may come easily to your gifted students? The willingness to persist through initial failure maybe not so much??

sgraff

#4 Post by sgraff » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:25 pm

The photo is from the pistil of a tiny flower. They are ovules, I believe.

I teach gifted classes, but the microscopy lessons were part of a class I teach called QUEST, which every student in my school from kindergarten through 5th grade takes. I am hoping to do a stream study in the spring where microscopy will be a key ingredient if I am allowed to take groups of students out to local streams to collect samples.