Introducing myself

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Quantrip

Introducing myself

#1 Post by Quantrip » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:12 pm

hello, my name is Tony and my son Luis who is 6, is interested in science. by the age of 4 he could real of 10 elements of the periodic table. "proud dad"
last christmas though he was given a a £30 microscope which was a waste of my hard earned cash, it was poop.
i would never recommend any of the so could cheap ones from smith toy store.
So, this year i went ahead and bought a Swift Compound Microscope SW200DL for his christmas this year.
i hope that you kind folks will help in developing his skills to becoming a scientist.
He has made it quite clear, this is what he wants to do and i have no experience in how to develop his skills.
i would be very grateful for any help in this field.
But of course he doesn't know yet :)

thank you and kind regards
Tony

TonyT

Re: Introducing myself

#2 Post by TonyT » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:41 pm

A couple of books here I believe would be worth having:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/index.h ... _body.html
New Brunswick
Canada

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:46 pm

Welcome Tony. The usual recommendation for a younger child is to start with a stereo microscope. That way you and your son can easily gather specimens and not have to prepare them (cut them super thin and preserve them under a cover slip) on slides. A stereo scope is great if you do something together (walks, camping, hobbies) and find things to see - and learn more of them.

I mention this because you might still be able to return the Christmas present compound scope and get an equivalent stereo microscope to start?

In any case, and either way, people here will be happy to help.

Greg Howald

#4 Post by Greg Howald » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:55 pm

One thing to consider here is that eventually you are gonna wind up with both types of scope. So a compound scope for Christmas and a stereo for birthday could make you number 1 dad on the planet so far as the child is concerned.😃
Your choice is a good one for beginning and there are all sorts of things you can do together. Oliver Kim has lots of introductory you tube videos as microbehunter.com for both you and your son to watch together. Watch and then do. An exciting world awaits!. Most of us would have to admit that we are addicted to this hobby and for good reason.
Greg

Quantrip

#5 Post by Quantrip » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:15 pm

TonyT wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:41 pm
A couple of books here I believe would be worth having:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/index.h ... _body.html
Thank you Tony T this was very helpful. much appreciated

Quantrip

#6 Post by Quantrip » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:28 pm

PeteM wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:46 pm
Welcome Tony. The usual recommendation for a younger child is to start with a stereo microscope. That way you and your son can easily gather specimens and not have to prepare them (cut them super thin and preserve them under a cover slip) on slides. A stereo scope is great if you do something together (walks, camping, hobbies) and find things to see - and learn more of them.

I mention this because you might still be able to return the Christmas present compound scope and get an equivalent stereo microscope to start?

In any case, and either way, people here will be happy to help.
Thank you for your advice PeteM, i've had a little shot of the microscope and i think this will do for now. it's already wrapped and under the tree anyways. :)

Thank you
Tony

Quantrip

#7 Post by Quantrip » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:43 pm

Greg Howald wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:55 pm
One thing to consider here is that eventually you are gonna wind up with both types of scope. So a compound scope for Christmas and a stereo for birthday could make you number 1 dad on the planet so far as the child is concerned.😃
Your choice is a good one for beginning and there are all sorts of things you can do together. Oliver Kim has lots of introductory you tube videos as microbehunter.com for both you and your son to watch together. Watch and then do. An exciting world awaits!. Most of us would have to admit that we are addicted to this hobby and for good reason.
Greg
Thank you Greg Howald, His birthday in feb, to close and too soon lol. Never mind the planet he tells me im his #1dad in the universe :). if it wasn't for coming across Oliver kim on youtube i probably would have never purchased the micro, his channel has been very helpful. :)

Thank you
Tony