Hello from Devon UK

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
jicajim

Hello from Devon UK

#1 Post by jicajim » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:39 am

Hi,
I am a retied engineer and ex-beekeeper. My main interest comes from beekeeping and is looking at pollen. I do venture into bits of insect and plant sections. It will be good to have the occasional exchange with more experienced pollen buffs.

photomicro

Re: Hello from Devon UK

#2 Post by photomicro » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:18 pm

Hello Devon ex-beekeeper

it is amazing how many folk get into microscopy through beekeeping.

As a member of one of several UK-based Microscopy Societies, I receive many enquiries from beekeepers for advice about equipment and techniques.

Many of course are wanting to take a BBKS qualification, requiring them to make pollen slides and that of bee parts.

There are a number of our members who make pollen slides, and no doubt on this forum too.

Get in touch if you need any more details of UK Societies.

jicajim

#3 Post by jicajim » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:35 pm

Dear photomicro,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Once upon a time I was a very keen beekeeper and discovered the wonderful world of top bar hive beekeeping but the British beekeeping establishment are so hide bound and introspective that I have given it all up.
The narrowness and petty one-up-manship of the divinities of beekeeping can be very wearing. I now content myself with nature and the wonders of small things.
Kind regards, Jim
PS should we communicate again, where are you (approximately) and do you have a real christian name?

photomicro

#4 Post by photomicro » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:37 am

jicajim wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:35 pm
Dear photomicro,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Once upon a time I was a very keen beekeeper and discovered the wonderful world of top bar hive beekeeping but the British beekeeping establishment are so hide bound and introspective that I have given it all up.
The narrowness and petty one-up-manship of the divinities of beekeeping can be very wearing. I now content myself with nature and the wonders of small things.
Kind regards, Jim
PS should we communicate again, where are you (approximately) and do you have a real christian name?
My pleasure. Sorry to hear that the narrow constraints of beekeeping clubs spoilt it for you.

I happen to be in North Yorkshire, but there are two national Societies that may be of interest;

Postal Microscopical Society
Quekett Microscopical Club

Both produce publications and have regular meetings around the UK (normally!)

Nearer to you, there is the Kernow Society;

http://kernowmicroscopy.com/index.html

regards, Mike

jicajim

#5 Post by jicajim » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:05 am

Dear Mike,
Again thank you for taking the time to reply.
Although beekeeping was a major part of my non work time it was getting a little too much like hard work anyway. Late seventies is no time to be humping hives about.
I have already joined the Kernow group but have not as yet had the opportunity to meet any of the other members. It may seem strange but from where I live in Devon, down to where that are is getting on for a hundred miles, so even when corvid goes away I still might not get to see them much. The Probability is that I will as with microbe hunters use them as an information source and for guidance.
I did communicate with Oliver re- uploading photos. I have a number as jpegs but I am unsure as to how to format them to upload. I am hoping to get a reply any time.
Best wishes, Jim