Hi from Morecambe

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
rickystyx

Hi from Morecambe

#1 Post by rickystyx » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:04 pm

Hi folks
I am just getting back into microscopy for fun as I loved looking at things for practical reasons but then put my scopes away for about 15 years and I'm starting all over again now.
My main interest at the moment is looking at some plants and pollen and freshwater beasties (I HOPE TO LEARN WHAT THEY ARE AS TIME GOES ON)
I have an old GS binocular compound scope which weighs a ton and I have spent the last week trying to clean all of the optics to my satisfaction - I'm getting there but need to take the light lenses apart now as they are really needing cleaning up but that means taking the bottom apart to get at the lenses.
I also have a Lomo Biolam which is useful for taking out and about as it is much lighter and I have made a little LED light for it that seems to work fine.
I also have a stereo scope for the bigger things (I used to use it for dissecting bees but don't have them anymore) and a horrible little pocket digital scope which has very little resolution.
I've also invested in a Brunel Digicam which I am just starting out with and I'm quite impressed so far.
So I'm re-learning everything and hope it will become my main hobby since I now use a wheelchair having something sedentary to play with really helps.
Cheers
Ricky

drspastic

Re: Hi from Morecambe

#2 Post by drspastic » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:12 pm

hi, i would be interested to hear more about your bees. my colony died overnight a couple of years back. one day fine next day dead . never found out why, but there were some little moths in the bottom tray of the hive. i need to learn more before i clean the hive and start again. gutted because it took ages to aquire a colony and they were doing really well for a couple of years.

rickystyx

#3 Post by rickystyx » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:03 am

Sounds like you had an infestation of wax moths possibly with a high varroa infestation too which would end the colony. I would suggest joining your local beekeeping club and someone will undoubtedly give you a colony or swarm as you progress with them. I had to give mine up due to not being able to get around much because of knee problems - it isn't easy manipulating a hive when you are in a wheelchair

Darren

#4 Post by Darren » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:10 am

Hi Ricky,

I have just registered and introduced myself then noticed your post here.

I was born in Morecambe a long time ago it has to be said. Lived there for my first 9 fabulous years of life!

So Hello from me, how's life there these days!

Darren
Swift 380T using 10x, 20x, 40x & 60x objectives
16mp Microscope Camera (in the post....)
40 ~ 2000 x (more like 200x) LCD electronic microscope (actually very good)
(With home stitched mechanical stage and lighting system)

photomicro

#5 Post by photomicro » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:05 am

Just to add a welcome from someone else here in the UK.

White Rose, not Red Rose....

Many years ago, there used to be an amazing 'shop' in Morecambe, near the front somewhere, that was rammed with scientific stuff, including many microscopes. Long since gone, but the image came back to me as I read the place name. I only went once I think, but heard about it from others closer. There are quite a few interested amateurs up in your neck of the woods...I know such folk in Thornton Cleveleys, Blackburn, Darwen, Carnforth, Lancaster, Turton and others.

I am sure that folk on the forum will help you in your new hobby, but wanted to make you aware of a couple of Societies that exist for amateur practical microscopists here in the UK. They both have meetings around the country, where folk can learn from each other, and pick up parts and accessories for their hobby, as well as complete instruments.

One is the Quekett, the other the PMS, which you can read about here;

http://www.postal-microscopical-society.org.uk

Have fun.

Mike

Darren

#6 Post by Darren » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:09 am

photomicro wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:05 am
Just to add a welcome from someone else here in the UK.

White Rose, not Red Rose....

Many years ago, there used to be an amazing 'shop' in Morecambe, near the front somewhere, that was rammed with scientific stuff, including many microscopes. Long since gone, but the image came back to me as I read the place name. I only went once I think, but heard about it from others closer. There are quite a few interested amateurs up in your neck of the woods...I know such folk in Thornton Cleveleys, Blackburn, Darwen, Carnforth, Lancaster, Turton and others.

I am sure that folk on the forum will help you in your new hobby, but wanted to make you aware of a couple of Societies that exist for amateur practical microscopists here in the UK. They both have meetings around the country, where folk can learn from each other, and pick up parts and accessories for their hobby, as well as complete instruments.

One is the Quekett, the other the PMS, which you can read about here;

http://www.postal-microscopical-society.org.uk

Have fun.

Mike
Well, I now live in Thornton-Cleveleys myself. - I was actually born in Morecambe - no idea why - my mum never said - as we lived in Keighley, Yorkshire at the time before then moving to Morecambe for my early years. (maybe she was viewing houses at the time and went into labour) Dad (rip) was from Yorkshire.
anyway, not wanting to hijack this post. Was just dropping an hello, you never know I had a lot of friends back then in Morecambe
Swift 380T using 10x, 20x, 40x & 60x objectives
16mp Microscope Camera (in the post....)
40 ~ 2000 x (more like 200x) LCD electronic microscope (actually very good)
(With home stitched mechanical stage and lighting system)