Completely Green

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
houstontx

Completely Green

#1 Post by houstontx » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:17 am

Hello all. Microscope greenhorn here. I come from a green background. Did an undergrad in genetics working with cyanobacteria (blue green algae). I've working in green energy for the last 7 years or so (biodiesel). Recently started at a plant making specialty chemicals. Anyway I just bought a used olympus a week ago. I don't know why but I got this urge recently to examine the green algae in my fish tank and take pics and vids with a usb camera. It was like this non stop hunt to find the right scope for almost a week. Its all I could think about...I started looking on amazon, I quickly found the Amscopes and Omax brands and almost bought one. I did a bit more research, found this forum and realized it might be better to find an old olympus, nikon, or zeiss instead.

So I ended up buying an Olympus BHTU from a used equipment dealer right near my work. It came with a phase condenser (in excellent condition), three objectives, A 10x, A 40x, A100x PL, carrying case and spare bulb. He had an olympus Inverted IM with a trinocular mount so I asked if I swap the bionocular head from the bh2 with that and he agreed. The trinocular had the MTV-3 attachment as well. I also just went back today and and bought a Leitz NPL Fluotar 25x P and an Olympus LWD CDPlan 40x that were on another scope. All said an done I paid $730 with tax.

I just got finished looking at a speck of green algae from the tank. The amount of creatures in there is just incredible. I saw diatoms, worms, amoeba, something with hooks and claws (waterbear?) and the most incredible thing I have ever seen. It was completely clear but I moved the phase anuli to get a oblique/col/darkfield view and it had a round body, with two spiked spinning discs above its head? that were pulling particles into its mouth. I could see its heart beating... Totally wild. Im hooked. I have been able to get off some pics through the eye pieces on my iphone. But as soon as I get a camera hooked up I will post pics and vids.

Thanks all for your previous posts and guiding me to find the right equipment.

Chris

75RR

Re: Completely Green

#2 Post by 75RR » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:13 am

Welcome houstontx, congratulations on a very nice microscope.
Looking forward to seeing some photographs of your microscope in the My microscope section and of course some of what you have seen through it.
... it had a round body, with two spiked spinning discs above its head?
Sounds like it could be a Rotifer, amazing beasties.
The word "rotifer" is derived from a Latin word meaning "wheel-bearer",[11] due to the corona around the mouth that in concerted sequential motion resembles a wheel (though the organ does not actually rotate).

I remember well that giddy feeling when one discovers a whole other world in a drop of water.

Rotifer links: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46

Link to a useful Olympus site: viewtopic.php?f=15&p=8480#p8480
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)