New member from Canada, eh..

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Boomod

New member from Canada, eh..

#1 Post by Boomod » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:44 pm

Myself:
Biochemical R&D Scientist by profession
Located about 100km from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Widower, lost my lovely wife to a long hard battle with cancer when she was 38 about 1.5yrs ago

I purchased an Omax trinocular compound scope, with 4x, 10x, 40x, and 100x(oil) objectives to help take away the pain. I had memories of the first time ever looking through a microscope and the whole new world to get lost in, the feeling of wowness in school, of being capivated and able to stare for hours if the classes didnt end. Later in life in university, i volunteered time working in a botany lab carving resin away from caplet-sized slugs encasing orchid seeds, working under a stereo disection scope to present a flat surface for subsequent microtome work and EM analysis. A very boring, tedious job to many, I remember a total immersion of peace and tranquility that came from working in the world of the superzoomed...

I determined earlier this year that there were things i wanted to see in the small world made big, to show off, that a standard biological scope couldn't work with - 0603 LEDs, leaf structures - that were too thick, or needed different lighting, and I complimented my scope with a (Brand forgotten) stereo zoom disection scope. Its a trinocular body, but, the camera port only works by sliding a lever to redirect one of the eyepiece paths to it, so is that a true trinocular...?

I have 2, 5 and 8 megapixel USB cameras to fit into the tertiary port, the latter two taking fantastic still images but suck so badly for video - a paramecia swimming in circles shows up as a fuzzy transparent blob in one frame, then on the other side of the screen in the next. I want to get good videos because I love watching biologicals (and adding glycerol or protosol helps slow them down enough to be almost videoable, but tends to do too much 'braindamage' to them sometimes and the nice activity of movement, injesting, etc falls apart. I need to find a way to make a housing for my HD camcorder, which doesn't have any lens-threading to tie into, to do such better realtime videos through an ocular.

Unfortunately, I still find myself held captive in amazement and tranquility while watching a droplet of pond water or simlar, and will stare into that world for hours, often forgetting to add more water, until watching the small universe shrink away from the sides of the scope :) So making videos never seems to get done as planned - "Spend a few mins and find something interesting to record.." turns into a trance-like state of amazement.

==
One of the guidelines that I set up for myself was to find fun in experimenting. This is a field where the pioneers did a lot of throwing together various on-hand chemicals and dyes and came up with amazing ways to visualize what they saw, many dye systems also later being designed due to chemical knowledge, then at some point... everything becomes a catalog of "there is a recipe/method to do that already". But with so many different materials available to us - food coloring, markers, fabric dyes - there may exist a chance of using isopropanol, vinegar, nail polish remover, or other household solutions in combination with dye immersion or dye exposure/washings - there might be something that makes a sample just ..pop.., or be a two-drop solution to observe cell nucleii very sharply that replaces an existing more involved process. "Staining with x and washing with ethanol has been the way we do xx since the first days when only three microscopes existed in the world..." may be fine and dandy, but they didn't have the new neon-bright artificial food colorings we have access to, or the ability to extract the chromophores out of a crayola marker.
So I have made a lot of messes routinely testing such things, and making mixtures/dilutions of solutions that give good results for looking at different materials, or work well to dye yeast to feed to other beasties and watch little purple orbs get consumed and digested...

I made an adjustable polarizer unit by cutting up a plastic Easter egg just-so that fits nice around my light source, with a lens cut out of some glasses from a 3d movie, and place another unit cut from the other lense into the microscope body. This lets me rotate the source light while both objectives and camera view through a fixed polarizer, to find the best results.

I am now in the process of creating a variety of Rheinberg filters and pseudo-darkfield filters to make it easier to visualize and share my pond-water creatures on video/pictures since they turn out so much nicer with optical staining techniques and are easier to look at. And its a creative process as well, to mix and match combinations, or adjust filter geometries, to get some surprising and amazing results.

lorez

Re: New member from Canada, eh..

#2 Post by lorez » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:59 pm

Welcome to the group, eh...? Is that the right way to say it ?

It sounds like you have a lot going on and a lot to share and discuss.

Getting lost in the minutia of microscopy is the whole point of the hobby. I can't count the time I've spent going down the rabbit hole following a specimen when the objective of the task was clearly not the specimen. I make up excuses that sound plausible to me and continue with my wanderings.

I shared a couple of thoughts in your thread about the rheinberg illumination and was only sharing a couple of things I've learned along the way about the microscopes and the techniques.

lorez

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:05 pm

Boomod, it is so good to have you join the forum! It is so sad that you lost your wife at such a very young age. I hope immersing yourself in your microscope hobby and experimentation will give you some solace. Welcome!

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:38 pm

Welcome here and I hope this place offers many hours of wonder and amazement. I am 100 miles east of T.O.

JimT

#5 Post by JimT » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:11 am

Boomod, 100 km's East, West, or North? I am across the Lake from you and we love Toronto.

Welcome to this forum. For me a good place to learn and for others a good place to share their knowledge and experiences and help us novices.

JimT

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:41 am

Hi Boomod and a warm welcome from the UK branch of this fine forum - you'll love it here. Lots of really friendly people who don't have a habit of descending into animosity whenever a discussion ensues. All levels of experience are here and you're going to have a great time sharing and learning with us all! :)

Great to have you on-board, taking and pursuing an interest such as microscopy is always life-enhancing in my experience - I have had a very similar experience to yours, although many years ago now. Very best luck and an exceedingly warm welcome. :)
Last edited by mrsonchus on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

CaterpillarGuy

#7 Post by CaterpillarGuy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:00 am

Hi Boomod, welcome!

I just joined the group as well, and as I am in the market for a dissecting scope and will be wanting to shoot videos with it, I noted your trouble with the 5 & 8MP cameras. Any clues as to why this happened? Too-slow frame capturing in the cameras themselves, too-slow transfer of data to the computer, too-slow image processing in the computer? Would you mind telling what brand(s) of camera you have and which brand of dissecting scope?

The Amscope trinocular scopes that I have been looking at have the same requirement for pulling a steel rod to redirect the light path thru the tertiary tube. I seem to recall doing this as well on a scope a few decades ago before snapping a pic, so I'll hazard a guess it's normal and doesn't affect the 'trinocular' status of the scope.

Dennis

#8 Post by Dennis » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:25 am

I never have a girlfriend although I want one. Just don't work out. BUT I ALWAYS HAD HOBBIES.

Take it easy. Sorry to hear about the misfortune.

-Dennis

Boomod

#9 Post by Boomod » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:07 am

Boomod, 100 km's East, West, or North? I am across the Lake from you and we love Toronto.
WestNorthWest - Guelph, halfway between London and Toronto.

Boomod

#10 Post by Boomod » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:53 am

I noted your trouble with the 5 & 8MP cameras. Any clues as to why this happened? Too-slow frame capturing in the cameras themselves, too-slow transfer of data to the computer, too-slow image processing in the computer? Would you mind telling what brand(s) of camera you have and which brand of dissecting scope?
The first camera I got came with the scope as part of the package purchase, and i upgraded to a 5.1mp camera within a few days of taking pics and realizing i wanted something better, without going overboard , and assessed that the 5.1 would take the fuzz out of the edges enough for the price. I simply bought from the same supplier the camera that was same brand. When I bought the disection scope, the prices on cameras were almost half as much, and to my surprise, appeared to be the same hardware unit with a different sticker, so I bought the larger one hoping i could mix and match them between scopes as needeed

The stereo disection scope, it doesn't have any markings or lables anywhere to denote brand and I cant find my purchase records in my email with a quick check, but it looks almost exactly like an AmScope 7-90X StereoZoom inspection microscope with a narrow base and removable light insert (I only use a ring LED illumination from above

I have an Omax A3590U which is actually a 9MP camera, not 8...
An Amscope MU500 5.1 camera
and the original is somewhere where i packed it in storage before installing a laminate floor in my den, and not of bother for me to dig around for - it might have been a 1.6 or 1.7MP, it did a decent enough job of capturing good pictures, but under the best focusing conditions, smooth edges were just choppy and pixelated. not too bad for crystals of salt or sugar, where depth distorts edges enough as it is, but for the 40x objective with water critters or a cheap set of mounted samples i bought on ebay things like insect wings and eyes and various tissue samples - it just blurred edges too much. The 5.1 camera picks up a nearly equivalent image view as looking through the optic, and the 9MP even more so. Fortunately the software lets you downscale the collection size cause the higher res images take very long to update the live video feeds - I think its the overall refresh speed of the system / data transfer to the computer. I've seen little difference between using an older win7 laptop running the software and viewing/acquiring and my desktop performance system with a powerful cpu , 16Gb memory, and multiple video cards joined in parallel that can contribute their processing power back to the system. All the cameras are USB2.0 so I imagine that a USB3.0 device will improve things greatly, depending on the actual speed of the detector read/reset/capture cycle.

What I did find interesting is that the camera shows only about 75 to 80% of the radius that my optics show, but figure thats due to a 1.3 or 1.4x lens on the camera unit that makes the adaptation to the tubing. All three cameras work with the AmScope software, which has its small annoyances, but otherwise is simple to use right out of the box, and easy to figure out and unleash the power features. But definitely the video and live-feed video image is restricted by the camera more than by the computer, as the responsiveness while moving a stage a particular fraction of a turn, or sliding an object with a gentle finger-nudge under the disection scope gives similar blur-till-stabilized times on two very different data aquiring computers.

They weren't too difficult to setup either, initially I was offput by the fact that the image on screen and in optics was ever so slightly off focus, a little more rise up on the stage and the camera was idea, but the viewer was off -- until I discovered the setscrew in the trinocular and was able to raise and lower the tubing to a position where it did match the same focus i got through the eyepieces
Once set, each camera was interchangable.

charlie g

#11 Post by charlie g » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Hello and welcome, boomed. Sorry for your recent loss. Thank you for sharing your very intresting paths with microscopy.

I enjoy freshwater and wetlands microscopy here in finger lakes/US. We love the St.Lawrence River, and Canada in July and August. My major headache at the bench is dust specs in my image-captures. charlie guevara

CaterpillarGuy

#12 Post by CaterpillarGuy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:32 pm

Boomod, thanks for the info on your dissecting scope and cameras. The Amscope scopes do have "Amscope" labels, but perhaps various labels, or no label, are attached by various distributors of these generic Chinese scopes from the same manufacturer.

The Amscope MU500 camera is the one I am looking at buying, so it's good to know beforehand that there are issues with it. Your description of the camera's "blur-till-stabilized" behavior on moving the specimen reminds me of my junker 'Intel Blue' toy microsope which did the same thing to the point of worthlessness. It's disappointing in a ~$170 camera. And I suppose the higher the pixel density, the worse the problem.

Reviews on Amazon are less than stellar: http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-Microscop ... ref=sr_1_3

[sigh]

einman

#13 Post by einman » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:48 pm

Welcome Boomed. I have not been on the forum much lately but if you need assistance taking pictures using stereoscopes I have been playing with several for the past few weeks.

I have a few videos on youtube under bala hormiga. Most recently I have been looing at photographing insects via a camera and macro stand bypassing the scope altogther but utilizing microscope objectives. Something new. In terms of stereoscopes I have severa; from a Nikon SMZ-2T to an Amscope. Their top of the line. I find it is quite good though not quite up the specs of the much older Nikon SMZ-2T. I also have a B&L Stereo zoom which is also quite good given the age etc.

Looking forward to your posts.