Hello from England but I'm Irish

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
MichaelD

Hello from England but I'm Irish

#1 Post by MichaelD » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi Everyone, Michael here from Ireland. I have been experimenting with microscopy on and off over the years. The only microscope I own is a Bresser LCD Microscope (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bresser-Microsc ... 421&sr=8-6&) I really enjoyed experimenting with and modifying this cheap microscope in an attempt to get better images. I have also experimented with different types of illumination including IR.
I have had on and off access over the years to better microscopes though my University, various employers, etc. Some sample images I took as part of my PhD can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mgdevereu ... 6661529722
These were taken with a Brunel SP200. This is a hollow cellulose fibre submerged in stout beer. I am now looking to purchase a decent but reasonably priced microscope for myself with a SLR phototube and darkfield capabilities.

JimT

Re: Hello from England but I'm Irish

#2 Post by JimT » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:13 pm

Welcome. Check the home page of this site. There are a number of articles offering buying advice and things to consider. Also, the members of this forum can give you their experiences and recommendations.

Dennis

#3 Post by Dennis » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:15 pm

I would recommend poking around on Ebay. I have a few microscopes I got there for 100- 150 dollars and one I plunged down 300 dollars for and then the realization finally sunk in- I am over equipped for my needs!!! (I stopped!)

-Dennis

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Welcome, MIchaelD. A second to the ebay option and you are lucky to be in a land where a fair number of Vickers instruments were sold . Vickers ,( Biorad too) are all just old enough to be going surplus, so sometimes they show up for a pretty low price. A Vickers Photoplan, is a fantastic microscope. I recently saw a Baker intereference microscope on ebay U.K. for almost nothing. Those both, are worth watching for across the pond.

gekko

#5 Post by gekko » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:19 pm

Welcome, Michael!
Last edited by gekko on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:54 am

Hi and welcome Michael - ah.. the SP200 - I love that 'scope.
Great to have you on-board! :)
John B