New member, Stockholm, Swedish Museum of Natural History

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Alex H

New member, Stockholm, Swedish Museum of Natural History

#1 Post by Alex H » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:45 am

Hello everybody,

My name is Oleksandr and I currently work at the Swedish Museum of Natural History. Microscopy was an important part of my job for past 20 years, although my first microscope I received even earlier. Recently I also became interested in the vintage microscopy equipment and non-scientific photography through the microscope. I use Nikon Eclipse e600 with DIC optics for my work and keep Leitz Ortholux with DIC and phase contrast objectives for hobby.

I am planning to contribute to Microbe Hunter magazine and post occasional questions here. I can probably call myself an "expert" in free-living nematodes, and will be happy to help members of this forum with questions related to this group of organisms.

Myself, I will be seeking help from this forum in my attempts to evaluate some pieces of microscopy equipment, their qualities or even find potential new owners. I have a small assemblage of Leitz and Zeiss objectives, eyepieces, and microscope parts dated from around the middle of the last century, many of which I do not need.

Best,
Oleksandr
Oleksandr Holovachov
http://www.holovachov.com

lorez

Re: New member, Stockholm, Swedish Museum of Natural History

#2 Post by lorez » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:56 am

Welcome to the group, Alex.

I am looking forward to hearing of experiences You certainly have good equipment so seeing your photos will be a real treat.

lorez

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:32 pm

Welcome, Oleksandr. Your occupation sounds splendid..and nested directly in our dear planets activities.

I sure wish I was a local neighbor of yours...I'd offer to purchase your hobby DIC stand when you upgrade!!

Thanks for the introduction posting. Charlie guevara

JimT

#4 Post by JimT » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:24 pm

Welcome to the group.

Dennis

#5 Post by Dennis » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:39 pm

Welcome Oleksandr.
We have the full range here. Experts (I guess they went past High school even!) to your average lake and birdbath water people like me.

-Dennis

Charles

#6 Post by Charles » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:35 pm

Welcome Oleksandr,

I am a collector of old microscopes and accessories. I collect Leitz and Zeiss items as well as other models. I will be interested in seeing what you have.

Alex H

#7 Post by Alex H » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:20 pm

Thanks to everyone for kind welcome!

Charles, I will PM you when I have a list of what I have but please do not hope for any rarities.
Oleksandr Holovachov

Alex H

#8 Post by Alex H » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:32 pm

Sorry to sound stupid, but I can not find anywhere on the forum information about private messaging. I received a message from a member that I want to reply to, but I can not. I get this reply: " We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature.". The restriction seem absolutely reasonable to me. I just do not want to seem rude towards the member who messaged me.
Oleksandr Holovachov

admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by admin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:54 pm

You need a few posts before you can send private messages. this is to protect the members of the forum from spammers. I hope it works now for you.
Oliver.
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.
(Bertrand Russell)

Alex H

#10 Post by Alex H » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:18 pm

Thank you, Oliver. That is what I thought and I completely agree with such strategy.

I posted about my current PM restrictions in hope that the member who sent me PM will see it and will wait for my reply without getting upset.
Oleksandr Holovachov

gekko

#11 Post by gekko » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:15 pm

Welcome Oleksandr! Great that you joined the forum. Although not a microscope collector, I too would like to see pictures of the microscopes in your collection.

Alex H

#12 Post by Alex H » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:10 pm

gekko wrote:Welcome Oleksandr! Great that you joined the forum. Although not a microscope collector, I too would like to see pictures of the microscopes in your collection.
I am not a collector either. May be I can show some pictures of my favorite organisms instead?
Oleksandr Holovachov

gekko

#13 Post by gekko » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:39 pm

My apologies! I had read your post earlier, and when I wrote this I must have been very confused :(. To me, pictures of organisms would be even more intresting than pictures of microscopes :) .