Hello fellow microscopists!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Topcode

Hello fellow microscopists!

#1 Post by Topcode » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:34 pm

So I figure after using a microscope for the last 15 months, its about time I start sharing what I've been doing. Plus I finally bought a higher magnification microscope than my stereoscope. Speaking of, I suppose I oughta put it out there what gear I do have.

My stereoscope is a Nikon SMZ-U, I have the 1x and 2x objectives (both Plan ED, 0.09NA and 0.18NA respectively) only the 10x eyepieces with 24mm FN, the body has .75x to 7.5x zoom. I have the photo port attachment, but not the diagonal for the side camera port, nor a tube lens, which i would need since the side port doesn't have a tube lens built in like the top port, and is instead infinity corrected as an output. Speaking of the cameras, I use an E3ISPM08300KPD, which is a 1/1.2" 2.9um IMX585 sensor, I use it with a .67x reducer. I also have the Diascopic stand, but typically use top illumination using a fairly standard ringlight.

Recently I obtained a Swift M10T microscope with 4x, 10x, 40x, and 100x oil, C Plan Swift Achromatic Objectives, with the standard NA values. No, I don't know what the C means. It has 10x, 20mm FN eyepieces, I have not yet bought a camera for this one, but a 533 with no optics added should provide a very similar fov to the eyepieces, so that's what i will likely go for. I don't have any samples from this microscope because I bought it so recently, more or less on a whim because I saw it for 40 dollars, like, I cant pass that up. But I have just done some basic testing with a calibration slide, through the eyepieces, and it seems to work fine, but once I have a camera attached, that can be tested better.

Sample images:
alright so first we have a cropped frame from a video I took of a tardigrade molting, which shows the molt on the left and the tardigrade on the right. Lateral CA was corrected in registax based on the tartigrade, other areas may be less corrected, aswell as some other adjustments applied.
This second one is really cool I think, its a water droplet on a bit of moss, bringing the moss cells into focus, same corrections made, however it has a synthetic blue channel, made from the red and green channels.

Javier

Re: Hello fellow microscopists!

#2 Post by Javier » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:40 pm

Welcome!

einman

Re: Hello fellow microscopists!

#3 Post by einman » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:19 am

Welcome.
The Nikon SMZ-U is a fine stereoscope. I have used mine a good deal. You will enjoy it for years to come,