Mushrooms…

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
kyu

Mushrooms…

#1 Post by kyu » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:39 am

…are what brought me here. :D

I am Volkhart, live in Franconia in Germany and would like to say hello to y’all.
Here is what brought me to this forum:
In my youth I used to sometimes go out into the forests and fields around our town with my parents to collect mushroooms which was something we all enjoyed. That mostly stopped when I graduated from school, joined the army for a few years and then went to university.
Then the nuclear desaster in Chernobyl practically ended wild mushroom collecting around here for a long time.
Only when cesium contamination in the fungi had decreased to acceptable levels did some people begin to go out looking for them again, and about 15 years ago, very occasionally, so did I.
By then a large part of former generations’ knowledge about mushrooms had been lost.
I also only knew what little I remembered of what I had learned from my folks a long time before, and they had by no means been experts, knowing only a few types of fungi. So I tried increasing my knowledge.
However, I found that to be rather difficult as there were hardly any people around in our region with sufficiently solid knowledge to safely learn from them. Books helped, but they are inadequate (except in case of some truly unique species) when it comes to determining whether a certain mushroom is edible or deadly. And while it may not always be a matter of life or death, actually there are cases where the exact species cannot be determined based on macroscopical properties alone, which is why microscopy is an important tool in mycology.
Fortunately, fairly recently the situation here has improved and there are now a few people around that one can learn from.

While I am still far from the level of expertise where I would really need a microscope to determine something I found I thought it would be nice to have the possibility to sometimes take a look. Also I have always found microscopy interesting.
So when in a German mycology forum I found an online store for mycology supplies, run by a renowned mycologist who is a member of that forum, I checked it out and found a really good deal which I could not resist. I am therefore now the proud owner of a brand new Swift SW380B microscope with which I have been playing around during the last two weeks.

So this is the story of how I got here. Which is longer than I had expected when I began to write - I hope it did not bore you.

Grüße aus Oberfranken/Greetings from Upper Franconia
Volkhart

Josephus Miller

Re: Mushrooms…

#2 Post by Josephus Miller » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:51 pm

Hallo!

I’m new here myself. Thank you for sharing your story!

I find fungi fascinating, too.

einman

#3 Post by einman » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:01 pm

Very interesting! Welcome! Mycology is a topic on my list of interests. Although I have purchased books for the purpose of identifying mushrooms edible and otherwise ie psychoactive mushrooms I have yet to actually take a journey to find any. We will eventually!

snik

#4 Post by snik » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:13 am

I entered microscopy with a similar purpose, although I grew up in a more mycophobic environment in Norway. Anything but chantarelle was considered potentially deadly, and after Chernobyl our family just stopped picking.

I've been foraging for the past 5-6 years, also growing various mushrooms indoors. Although I've learned a lot about mushrooms I'm really just scraping the surface. I was also surprised to find that very experienced mycologists were unable to identify certain mushrooms, and that new species are still being discovered. I bought an old Leica microscope last year to help identifying mushrooms, and now I'm also using it on petri dishes to check on clones and crosses.

I've used light microscopes in uni 20 years ago, so I knew a little going in. Still, it's very hard to find specific information on older microscopes, especially Leica. My searches usually ended up on this forum where there are some very knowledeable people.