Hello from Belgium

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
chipper

Hello from Belgium

#1 Post by chipper » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:30 pm

Let me introduce myself a bit. I am a physicist, living in Belgium. I have a wide range of interests, but in the last few years I have focust most of my time on natural history, mainly wild flowers and mosses. I also have a keen interest in astronomy and own some astro-binoculars and telescopes. For determining wild flowers I usually used a hand lens and sometimes a stereo microscopy I inherited from my father. Especially for the determination of mosses, I got often stuck due to the lack of a compound microscope.
Just two weeks ago, I've bought my second hand Lomo Biolam from 1974 for 80 euro's. The thing is in perfect order, still with the receipts and manuals. This really got me hooked to microscopy! I was stunned what level of detail I could see of mosses and other parts of plants (e.g. stems of flowers, spores.... ). I'll put some pictures in the "my microscope" section of this forum.

I still have quite a bunch of questions on my microscope and how to make permanent moss-slides, so I will try to use this magnificent forum to find some answers.
LOMO biolam P6
Novex P-10

Crater Eddie

Re: Hello from Belgium

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:33 pm

Welcome to the forum! You will find lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here. I'll be watching for photos of your LOMO.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:40 pm

Chipper, welcome. I have learned since I found this forum that it is a great place to share and to learn. Great people here.

JimT

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:20 pm

Welcome, Chipper.

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:11 am

Welcome again, Chipper.

With regards to making permanent plant slides, member "mrsonchus" is the expert. Please take a look at his sample slides on his Google drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-LIc ... nhUeGptZGM

He sells those slides (including some very nice pollen/flower head/ovary slides) too, but will happily answer your questions even if you do not buy anything from him.

Johann

#6 Post by Johann » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:41 am

Welcome Chipper. Great hobby :)
Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel

rabitt

#7 Post by rabitt » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:28 pm

Welcome Chipper, will be looking for your posts.

hkv

#8 Post by hkv » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:44 am

Welcome! Looking forward to your posts!
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

mrsonchus

#9 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:45 am

Warmest welcome chipper - mosses - great subjects and a really enjoyable mystery in the identification of each one!
You're in good company here, a lot of very knowledgeable and friendly folk to share your interests with. Great to have you aboard old chap. :)

p.s. - I like your Avatar!
John B