Hello from a COMPLETE NEWB

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
curious_darling

Hello from a COMPLETE NEWB

#1 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:51 am

Hello all.

So, I never thought I would find myself in a group like this. Ever.

I'm a professional photography and illustrator. I had this bright idea... I'd like to start doing microscopic photography! Brilliant idea... except for a few caveats. I literally know nothing about this. I know about cameras, I know about lenses... I have my degree in photography. But, my lord, this is an intimidating venture I've taken myself on.

I will have a million questions to accompany all the blind research I'm doing. I'm starting from the bottom! Please be patient with me.

Thanks in advance.

Pat Thielen

Re: Hello from a COMPLETE NEWB

#2 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:11 am

Welcome to the forums -- You've come to the right place. There are quite a few people who know what they are doing and are very happy to help. Good luck! :D
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

curious_darling

#3 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:22 am

Any books you'd recommend for complete novices?

Pat Thielen

#4 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:41 am

I'm sorry -- I don't know of any offhand. I'm going by what I remember from high school and what knowledge of photography I've learned over the years. What are your interests specifically? Is there a subject you'd like to work with more than others? For example, I'm most interested in protozoa and bacteria, while others here are more into botany. There are hundreds of topics you could direct your interest to. And knowing this may help you decide what equipment you need. I've learned from people here in the forum that you will get better results from mounting a digital SLR camera on a microscope as opposed to using a digital microscope camera (they are usually 5 - 10 megapixels and can cost several hundred dollars). So, I'm learning how to use my Nikon dSLR with my microscopes -- It's been quite the learning curve. But, it's also been very enjoyable.

I'm sure there is someone here who will be able to recommend books on the subject. You can also explore the forums and read the magazine part of the website. There is wonderful information all over the forums that will be of help to you I'm sure.
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#5 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:44 am

One other thing to consider is if you may have access to someone who is working in the field of microbiology or is a student. Perhaps they would be willing to help you get started. Here in Saint Paul there is a scientific store that has lessons available for people who'd like to learn about microscopy. I don't know if there is anything local to you, but there may be. Personally, I find it easier to learn from another person as opposed to reading about it in books.
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

curious_darling

#6 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:04 pm

I'm right outside Boston... I wonder if any people from MIT or Harvard would be willing to tutor me in basic microscopy, lol.

Pat Thielen

#7 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:06 pm

curious_darling wrote:I'm right outside Boston... I wonder if any people from MIT or Harvard would be willing to tutor me in basic microscopy, lol.

That would be awesome! It certainly wouldn't hurt to look into it.
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Culicoides

#8 Post by Culicoides » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:35 pm

Welcome!
For insects, proceedures and equipment, try Andrew Chick: Insect Microscopy,ISBN 978 78500 201 4,£12 -£16, from Amazon UK. Fleas are good to start with, and make good pictures. Also, try searching for Freshwater Microscopy (or Microscopist), from Blurb (sorry, I have forgotten the author), he has written three excellent books, price around 23 US dollars, giving details of equipment and what to look for.
Good hunting.

curious_darling

#9 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:58 pm

I'm honestly interested in looking a anything! I'm doing this for the photography. I sell stock photography and video and really want to do something fun with this. I obviously am starting from nothing and have a lot to learn. I eventually want to make amazing photos from slides!

curious_darling

#10 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:59 pm

Culicoides wrote:Welcome!
For insects, proceedures and equipment, try Andrew Chick: Insect Microscopy,ISBN 978 78500 201 4,£12 -£16, from Amazon UK. Fleas are good to start with, and make good pictures. Also, try searching for Freshwater Microscopy (or Microscopist), from Blurb (sorry, I have forgotten the author), he has written three excellent books, price around 23 US dollars, giving details of equipment and what to look for.
Good hunting.

Oh thank you! I will check those books out.

billben74

#11 Post by billben74 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:01 pm

Hi curius_darling.

Don't be daunted. Sure there is loads to learn but you already know how to photograph and learning is fun.
You can start the learning curve by reading the beginners section from the front page.
Another great source of information is http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html

We love our photography here and I love the friendly people on this forum (so please keep on spending time here) but I would also remiss in mentioning "the other place" as we sometimes refer to it as

http://www.amateurmicrography.net/ which has lots and lots of information too.

If you want to see the best in the world (some of these people hang out here from time to time) try the nikon small world competition.

Books, books... I used some kids books to begin with much can be learned online but I got this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microscopy-Hob ... 1500301655

made by one of the guys that runs http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html

I assume you haven't made the plunge and bought a 'scope?

I can give this one for free, you will be wanting a trinocular microscope thats one with two occular lens (to view your two eyes) and one tube for a relay lens/adapter system for your camera.
You can take photos without one of these but if you are planning to be serious about taking photos with a microscope you (probably) need one of these.

What camera do you use?
Vibration is a particular problem in photomicrography.
Some cameras (e.g. most Canon's) can be used without moving the mirror prior to taking the image. If your camera doesn't do this then you need to think about how you will mount your camera so as to reduce vibration related problems (although even if it does you still need to think about vibration/movement of your camera as the mirror will probably move afterwards that can shift the camera for next shot)

Hope this is helpful.