Awaited hobby!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Xito

Awaited hobby!

#1 Post by Xito » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:31 pm

Hi,

Its time to start learning microscopy...

My main hobbies are aquariums (reef tanks) and plants. Always thought it would be interesting to watch, identify, and learn about the "small life" we cannot see but I never took it seriously.

Now I have time and illusion, I want to start and I want to do it the right way. I hope I can learn from all of you.

I began reading and reading some time ago. It's not easy.

I need a biological microscope and would like to take it easy (almost never touched a microscope in my life). Start learning slowly, maybe 1 or 2 years with a simple microscope (not too expensive) and later, if I feel this hobby is for me, maybe buy a good one.

I think about a biological monocular microscope (without camera, acceptable optical quality, ability to buy better objetives) something to start learning 1 or 2 years. Then I will sell it if I need a better one.

I know you always talk about second hand, top-marks microscopes but I know I cannot buy it, I don't know enough to do it, so I'm thinking about something like:

-Motic 2802
-Optika B159 or Optika B191

I forgot to say I'm from Spain (no amscopes here :D )

Thanks!!

lScopysScopegScope

Re: Awaited hobby!

#2 Post by lScopysScopegScope » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:35 pm

That's super cool, It's going to be a great boon to house or grow your specimens with that aquarium knowledge.

I'm looking at your options (keep in mind I've only used two types of research grade scopes so I don't fully know the pitfalls) and they seem alright.
You're going to see a lot of things like amoebas, little critters and other relatively large organisms which can be seen with the 4, 10, and 40 objectives. You could potentially skip the 100, but you wouldn't see the smaller algae or bacteria.

The Motic 2802
Maybe I'm missing it but I'm not seeing the information to calculate the wattage for the light source.
The condenser NA is high for the objectives that come with it, that's not bad but you wont be getting it's full potential. If it's a standard OD than you can keep it and use it with your next scope if you want. With a NA of 1.25 you can use it wet with immersion oil but I don't know if it would do anything with those objectives.
Nothing wrong with LED. If you're going to look at live slides the LED wont heat them as much as a halogen, but unless you're planning on being out in the field with the scope I personally wouldn't go for rechargeable because I would be sceptical of charging lengths and getting trapped with a proprietary battery pack.
It also says you can get it in a binocular version, I would consider that because a lot of people have a hard time with looking through a monocular for long amounts of time.

Optika B159
Is it just me or is a 1W light source really small? I'm used to halogen, is LED functional at lower W?
Again with the cordless thing, if you frequently find yourself without power then for sure go for it but if not then I'd be hesitant.

I think the more important thing is thinking about what you want to look at. If you're talking about pulling samples from your tanks then you might put more money into things like welled slides, filters, or even research a phase contrast kit to view a lot of detail without killing the organism. If you are more interested in the botanical side then a good prep kit with maybe a microtome down the line?
If you eventually want to focus your attention on the very very small things then try for an all metal scope instead of plastic/nylon gears and such, they'll mess with your accuracy.

There are a lot of youtube videos about microscopy that are posted by lecturers for their students (high school and college level) that you could check out for the very basics if you learn better that way.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi Xito, welcome.

I think your idea to purchase a modest microscope while you gain experience and decide if microscopy is for you is a good plan.
I would just add that you have a look at Bresser microscopes as well - some of the simpler ones are quite economical.
I would also mention a microscope website (perhaps you know it already) called http://www.vidainvisible.com/foro/index.php
that has several Spanish members who might be able to suggest local suppliers.
Last edited by 75RR on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

JimT

#4 Post by JimT » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:26 pm

I think about a biological monocular microscope
Xito, welcome. I think you will find this to be a great hobby. My one suggestion (even with a first microscope) is to but a binocular one. Much better view since you will be using both eyes.

JimT

gekko

#5 Post by gekko » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:18 pm

Welcome, Xito. I strongly agree with JimT about getting a binocular microscope. In fact, if you plan to take photographs through the microscope, I would highly recommend a trinocular.

Xito

#6 Post by Xito » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi!,

Thank you for your responses. I'm glad to hear your opinions.

I tried to access the spanish forum as 75RR said, read a lot there, but it was impossible for me to register.. I had no reply to the registry process. I got a bit impressed when I started to read, people with great equipment, too much money for me to begin a new 'unknown' hobby. That is the reason I thought about starting with a simpler equipment.

I agree with you about cordless feature, don't need that but I'm not sure about corded models I saw on the web, they seem to be too simple. I think my simple microscope needs at least:

4-10-40 objectives
Abbe condenser and diaphgram
Macro and micro movement
Mechanical plate (not sure if you say 'plate' in english, I mean the board where you put the sample)
Brightest light

These days I was reading and reading and discarded the optika model (not good reviews about it)

75RR talked about Bresser. I know bresser is known for it's cheap microscopes. I discarded it at first but I'm reading very good reviews about the erudit 40-600x model:

http://www.bresser.de/en/Microscopes-Ma ... scope.html

4-10-40-60x objectives, cheap, very easy to find here and very good reviews...

I need to study a little more... maybe consider the binocular options (all experts say it's important)

My first adquisition is done, and it's a book! The one people say is the best book for begginers: Microscopy manual by Bruno P. Kremer.

Thank you!!

billbillt

#7 Post by billbillt » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:25 am

Hello and welcome.. Please don;t discount the Bresser microscope.. Forum member Vasselle at one time did some superior work with one:
Attachments
post.jpg
post.jpg (195.83 KiB) Viewed 6080 times

Xito

#8 Post by Xito » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:33 am

Very nice....

Oh my god, bresser binocular models are not as expensive as I thought...

2 posible models. They seem to be similar, just one of them is binocular, the other one is trinocular

Binocular: http://www.bresser.de/en/Microscopes-Ma ... scope.html

Trinocular: http://www.bresser.de/en/Microscopes-Ma ... scope.html

ooohh, I think I found the one. All basic functions included, trinocular, so many posibilities.... do you think is a good model to start with? I cannot find any disadvantages... more than enough for 1-2 years of learning, isn't it?

Maybe it's a good idea to finish this introductory thread and continue in the equipment forum.

Thank you guys!

hkv

#9 Post by hkv » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:48 pm

I think the trinoc version look great! This seems to be on the higher end of beginners scope. I am sure it will give you years of excitement!

One important issue. It seems to lack a 20x objective. In my work in exploring and photographing water critters, I find myself using the 20X 80% of the time. It is the most versatile magnification in my personal view. See if you can add that somehow. It is a big jump between 10x and 40x. You will not be happy with that configuration.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

billbillt

#10 Post by billbillt » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:08 pm

I agree with hkv.. I find I use the 20X most of the time... You could replace the 100x(which I feel you will use much less) with a 20x... I didn't catch the tube length for the Bresser, but it is probably something standard where you can find a 20x on Ebay fairly easy.. Go for the trinoc for sure.. just my HO..

BillT

JimT

#11 Post by JimT » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:06 am

but it is probably something standard where you can find a 20x on E-bay fairly easy
I agree about the 20X but be careful about substituting an obj. from a different manufacturer with one from your scope. I had an such an experience and had to return it. Sometimes the eyepiece and the obj. are designed to compensate each other to correct for spherical and chromatic aberration.

Don't hesitate to keep asking for advice and good luck.

JimT