New to forum. Drawing tube

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
wstenberg

New to forum. Drawing tube

#1 Post by wstenberg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:15 am

Hello Everyone. New to the forum. Looking forward to it.
I use Leica Microscopes at work (and I like them fine). I am at the Dallas campus of Texas A&M University. My home microscopes consist of 5 various Zeiss Standards configured in various ways. I also have one Zeiss inverted microscope, and a Meiji stereomicroscope.
I am interested in setting up a drawing tube on a Zeiss Standard. I would be interested in hearing from someone that has some experience with this. I purchased one from Ebay, but the drawing image is rotated 90 degrees and reversed when viewed through the binocular. This particular model (47 46 23) seems to have some extra prisms on the end compared to the normal single prism variety used on the Standards. It also is about 4-5 inched longer than normal. It appears that an extension was added at the factory for this model. I am not sure what the original application for this was. Apparently is was not designed for use with the normal Zeiss binocular or monocular heads. I've seen another like it for sale on EBay, so there were a few of them around. My theory is that it is for use with some sort of projection screen in place of the binocular. Any ideas or info appreciated.

William
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

zzffnn

Re: New to forum. Drawing tube

#2 Post by zzffnn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:13 pm

Welcome to the forum, William.

Member Charles may have such a drawing attachment, though I am not positive about it.

You must really like Zeiss :twisted: My approach is to have one modular scope (Nikon Optiphot) and some interchangeable nosepieces and condensers, but sometimes those can cost not much less than a bare scope.....

What surplus web site does A&M use for local surplus scope sales? UT uses http://www.slapsale.com for many cities in Texas.
Last edited by zzffnn on Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

wstenberg

Re: New to forum. Drawing tube

#3 Post by wstenberg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks.

I have four different microscopes on the bench in my lab at the University. I've been trying to re-create a home version, but I got carried away and ended up with a few extra microscopes. We are 100% Leica at work, and I'm 100% Zeiss at home.

Texas A&M sells their surplus equipment through LSO Auctions. www.lsoauctions.com
Thanks for the info on Slapsales. I'll take a look.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar