Newbie, tubes?

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
nanoranch

Newbie, tubes?

#1 Post by nanoranch » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:03 am

Hey everyone, new to the forum. Suddenly I have a lot of work that requires microscope imaging.

I have a question I'll post here and go look at the beginner stuff (although I think I have a general understanding).

I have a Nikon 20X 0.4 ELWD 210/0 objective and a bunch of microscope cameras. The thing is, I need to mount the objective with a tube to the camera in very unconventional ways. I would like to mount this objective with a camera to different things. For starters I need to mount it to a moving CNC like machine so that I can see the tip of the machine as it works (it's sort of weird). I can't seem to find 210mm tubes that I can mount the objective to and then one of my C-mount cameras (or one of their eye pieces) to the other end. I need to see at sub 100um ranges with a bit of distance between the objective and the thing it is looking at hence the extra long working distance objective.

So, my main question is about the tubes. Google searches just show me regular standing microscopes but what I really need is a tube for the objective and camera. The camera has side mounts attach to my setup. Is the tube more of a DIY thing or can I buy something?

My second question is about the diameters and threading on objectives. They never seem to be listed. This particular objective seems to have a larger diameter than many of the other objectives and turrets I find around the lab. Is there some kind of common diameters for objectives that I am missing here?

Thanks! I will be lurking the forums a lot I expect.
Attachments
61FO-X4JK2L._SL1200_.jpg
61FO-X4JK2L._SL1200_.jpg (72.96 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg (6.49 KiB) Viewed 2571 times

zzffnn

Re: Newbie, tubes?

#2 Post by zzffnn » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:18 am

Welcome to the forum. I suggest reading FAQs at the other forum, especially this one: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=12147

You can use camera bellow or camera lens extension tubes. If your objective has a larger than RMS thread, you should be able to adapt it to RMS or to M42. Just Google "Nikon 20X 0.4 ELWD 210/0 objective thread" and you should be able to find it. If not, ask at the above forum.

nanoranch

Re: Newbie, tubes?

#3 Post by nanoranch » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:43 am

Thanks for the reply! I finally found the thread size, 26mm which is apparently the case for all of the Nikon BD series. I kept looking for diameter :P

That link was also perfect to help me along!