Greetings from Valley Forge PA

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Quarterbore

Greetings from Valley Forge PA

#1 Post by Quarterbore » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:18 pm

I have been lurking for a few days and I finally got my account activated. I am almost 50 and I have my undergraduate degree in Pre-Med Biology having used microscopes in Biology, Genetics, Cell Biology, Histology and others. I then got a Masters in Microbiology and worked on Cell Biology and Virology work. From there I was a food Microbiologist for a few years and then I worked in the pharmaceutical industry in QA, R&D and other areas.

My hobbies used to be outdoor related things like hiking, hunting and motorcycle rides. I also am a Den Leader with the Cub Scouts. Unfortionately I am disabled due to Ménière's disease as I am struggling with the loss of my hearing, tinnitus, vertigo, and balance issues. Along with that my hearing is so bad I can't really stand watching TV (closed captions suck) and listening to music doesn't work, and even reading for fun can be tricky at times. So, I've been trying to go back to the basics and find a hobby that fits my newfound reality.

I bought a telescope and was going to give that a try but darn it has been cloudy and I still need a hobbie for the daytime. So, I decided to get a modest Compound Microscope and Sterio Microscope and do this for fun like I used to do in High School. My microscope is a good working Bristoline and it has the usual 4, 10, 40, and 100 oil objectives. My dissecting scope is a modest but effective Swift Sterio 80. Both are more then adequate for my hobby needs for now although after looking at this forum I am starting to think to share in this hobby I should have purchased trinocular heads so I can photograph and video. Perhaps I will consider updates in the future?

For now, I have a lot of basic stuff to learn as while I have prepared slides in my past including parafin tissue samples, karotyping slides, even electron micrographs of virus trying to do this as a hobby is tough as so many places will not share chemicals to a residential address! I found this site searching for a place that does sell in smaller batches to the hobbiest and this site helped me find homesciencetools but I am still evaluating what I need as I had originally planned to prepare and fix slides!

After hanging out a few days the lightbulb went on and I realized that video and photos of what you find are in manny ways superior to trying to make a really good perminant slide that later you need to dig out to look at again! So, considering my options but I am going to hang out and study more before I invest in any additional microscopes!

Thanks for having me and happy microbe hunting!

charlie g

Re: Greetings from Valley Forge PA

#2 Post by charlie g » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:45 pm

Welcome to a nice forum. Charlie Guevara/finger lakes/MY

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:39 am

Welcome to the forum.

You have school/professional training that is similar to mine. So cheers there :twisted:

I suggest to consider what subjects you want to view/photograph first. That would determine if and how you mount your subjects.

There are at least 7 kinds of microscopy subjects:

1) plant thin sections;
2) mineral thin sections;
3) permanently mounted diatom frustules;
4) chemical crystal mounts;
5) insect parts mounts;
6) pond/water protists;
7) coin or opaque thin material science subjects

As you can see, 1)-3) need to be mounted, in very different ways. 1) is close to pathology permanent mounts, which you are familiar with. 2) -3) are highly specialized and very different from others.

4) -5) can be easily mounted (sealed with balsam) but it is not always necessary.

6) is usually viewed/photographed fresh in water (not permanently mounted/sealed, as protists die/disintegrate without oxygen).

7) does not need cover slip or mounting at all.

I think most people here like 6), though 3 and 4) are quite popular too. 1) plant sections needs sectioning and staining, which sometimes prevent untrained hobbyists from fully enjoying it.

Balsam can be bough in small quantities:
http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/m3386.html

A few online store like the following would sell to hobbyists:
http://cynmar.com

Quarterbore

#4 Post by Quarterbore » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:08 am

Thanks for the welcomes! I did consider this before I bought either a microscope or the Sterio scope. My plan to start is going to be with the water/pond microbes as well as insects and other invertebrates. I looked at hand microtones and frankly they look like an exercise in frustration compared to the ones I have ever used so I have to see if I go that way. I also looked at some of the posts on rocks and minerals and while I find it interesting I don't see me grinding and polishing stone!

In the meanwhile, I did buy a huge 200 slide Biology Set that will make me feel like a freshman in college again that I can use for Scouts when we go over a number of topics. I need to decide if I want to buy a couple prepared deer tick slides or run around in the bushes in shorts to see if I can catch my own to mount however :o

Like I said, the biggest shocker is how hard it is to get chemicals! I never realized it would be a challenge but then again I don't have pipettes, beakers, flasks, incubators, hot plates, Bunsen burners or anything else so I guess I need to start building a mini home lab just to get into this hobby!

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:44 am

What exact chemicals do you need? Many chemicals or alternative substitutes can be found cheaply on eBay or HomeDepot. I have not used many chemicals in my microscopy though.

Pipettes, beakers, flasks can be bought cheaply and easily from eBay too.

As for incubators, hot plates and Bunsen burners, you may want to look into you local university/hospital surplus sales. EBay has those too, but shipping can get expensive.

Quarterbore

#6 Post by Quarterbore » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:26 am

Honestly, I need to make a list of what I need. I have been collecting stain and fixer recipes and instructions. I know things like xylene, acetone, and ethanol I can get at a hardware in lower grades but glycerol, NaOH, HCl, and others will be harder to find. So, I started by ordering some basic supplies and a smaller Balsam slide fixing kit.

Until then I just need to do more homework and get everything compiled into a binder and just try things out and seek out solutions but I am just starting this adventure.

billben74

#7 Post by billben74 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:32 pm

If you haven't already try reading

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... icles.html

This wonderful old boy spent his long life with a burning passion for microscopy and many from this forum have learnt much from him, even after he passed away.

As mentioned by zzffnn, many things such xylene have much safer alternatives that give great results i.e. d-limonene can be used to "clear" a sample very effectively and whilst even this needs to be treated with respect its an order of magnatude safer then xylene.

Ebay does sell almost anything, including high grade glycerol, NaOH (I use pelletts as they are easy to handle etc) 36% HCl (do you need it more concentrated?) etc.

I've bought phosphotungustic acid for example! (Use in trichrome staining protocols).

Do ask about protocols you are planning to use if you want as there are many (more knowledgeable than I) that can give advice.

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Welcome from the UK old chap!

You've landed smack-in-the-middle-of a group of very talented, skillful, knowledgeable and above all friendly folk!

Looking forward to following your adventures as you get into the thick of things with this never-ending hobby.

John B from the UK. :D :D :)
John B

wstenberg

#9 Post by wstenberg » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:02 pm

Welcome to the forum!!!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

IanW

#10 Post by IanW » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:48 am

Another welcome from the UK!

With your knowledge you can teach some of us as we are not all science trained:-) Looking forward to more from you.
Zeiss Jena NF, Zeiss Standard 18 and WL