New member from Maryland

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
kerry

New member from Maryland

#1 Post by kerry » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:37 pm

I'm a recently retired microbiologist, who used a wide variety of scopes at work (stereomicroscopes, "regular" compound scope, fluorescent, darkfield, etc.), but had a relatively limited range of specimens (clinical microbiological specimens), no expertise in preparing complex specimens, and little experience in microscope setup, photomicrography, and maintenance. With all of that in mind, I'm very thankful to Oliver Kim for putting together the MicrobeHunter website, and this forum. It's an incredibly useful resource. I'm looking forward to participating in the forum, and to learning from other amateur and professional microscopists.

zzffnn

Re: New member from Maryland

#2 Post by zzffnn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:01 am

Welcome to the forum, Kerry. Good to see another microbiologist here :twisted:

What are your subjects of interest? Plant sections (complex preparation, but not unlike your pathology/clinical micro work) and/or pond protists (no preparation needed).?
Last edited by zzffnn on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crater Eddie

#3 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:03 am

Welcome to the forum!
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Welcome kerry to this fine forum. Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folk here!
John B (UK). :)
John B

wstenberg

#5 Post by wstenberg » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

JimT

#6 Post by JimT » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:24 pm

Welcome Kerry. Good place to be and welcome to the world of retirement.

kerry

#7 Post by kerry » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:12 pm

zzffnn wrote:Welcome to the forum, Kerry. Good to see another microbiologist here :twisted:

What are your subjects of interest? Plant sections (complex preparation, but not unlike your pathology/clinical micro work) and/or pond protists (no preparation needed).?

I'm hoping to do some photomicrography on specimens that I collect at various refuges on the Chesapeake Bay (Maryland and Virginia). I'm setting up a nature trail at one of the wildlife refuges, intended to teach visitors about the organisms that they can't see without a microscope, and I'd like to use some of my own photographs.

IanW

#8 Post by IanW » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:44 am

kerry wrote:
zzffnn wrote:Welcome to the forum, Kerry. Good to see another microbiologist here :twisted:

I'm hoping to do some photomicrography on specimens that I collect at various refuges on the Chesapeake Bay (Maryland and Virginia). I'm setting up a nature trail at one of the wildlife refuges, intended to teach visitors about the organisms that they can't see without a microscope, and I'd like to use some of my own photographs.
I am very much looking forward to seeing your work!
Zeiss Jena NF, Zeiss Standard 18 and WL

charlie g

#9 Post by charlie g » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:32 pm

Welcome to forum, Kerry. I hope your retirement still has contacts with folks whom may supply you with chemicals you might want to use in your microscopy.

It's great that you intend to share microscopy with all of us, yes, yes! And as you state, bravo to Oliver Kim for building this community platform.

Again, welcome Kerry. Charlie Guevara fingerlakes/US