Another noob from Florida

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Lilly Begonia

Another noob from Florida

#1 Post by Lilly Begonia » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:01 pm

So, the other night, for some inexplicable reason, I decided I wanted a microscope. I've no idea why, but I went right to Amazon and bought one that had good reviews. I got an OMAX 40X-2000X Lab LED Binocular Microscope with Double Layer Mechanical Stage. It seems a very good one, easy to use and well made. So of course the first thing I did with it was put a drop of my blood on a slide, a cover slip over that, and look around in it. Fascinating! Lots of neat stuff in there to be sure. Now I want a camera on it so I can view it on my Mac and take pictures and videos. This seems like something that's really going to suck me in! Now I have to find all sorts of neat things to look at on it! I put a gnat on a slide, and I have to say up close it's one seriously gnarly little bug! I need to find some bacteria next, those have to be really interesting, but I'm not sure where to get them. They are prolly everywhere, I'll just start looking around.

I really don't know anything about this yet and clearly there's a learning curve ahead, but it sure beats TV.

einman

Re: Another noob from Florida

#2 Post by einman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:08 pm

Welcome Lilly

The adventure is only just beginning!

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:30 pm

Lilly, welcome and do you hear that sucking noise? That's you getting sucked into this great hobby.

Lots of sites on the net to explore (Including this site's home page).
Now I want a camera on it so I can view it on my Mac and take pictures and videos.
Here might be a good eyepiece camera to start with:

http://www.microbehunter.com/toupcam-s3 ... pe-camera/

BTW, don't bother with the 20X eyepieces. They just give what is called "Empty magnification". Enlarges the image but there is no added detail.

JimT

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:01 am

Welcome to the forum, Lilly.

Baker's yeast may be safer to observe than bacteria or fungus/mold. Though I don't think any of those is that interesting under microscope.

You may buy some "sea monkey" (brine shrimp) eggs and let them hatch, then observe under DIY darkfield (by using a big opaque round disc on condenser tray). To me, that is more interesting than blood cells.

rstl99

#5 Post by rstl99 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Welcome to the forum! I'm new here myself.
--Robert