MicrobeHunter.com Microscopy Forum

You can also access this page with: www.microscopy-forum.com
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 pm 

Greetings from Cecil County Maryland...

I am an analytical chemist by trade. My knowledge of microscopy has been learned by necessity. I used to be passably good with an SEM, did some AFM, lot of IR microscopy with reflachromat objectives. When it comes to optical microscopy I am nowhere near the same league as you people on this forum are. Trust me, McCrone isn't looking to hire me anytime soon....

So I'm asking for a little knowledge here. My daughter found me a Bausch & Lomb microscope in an antique shop and bought it for me as a Christmas present. As far as I can tell it seems it was a pretty good scope back in it's time. It is labeled as Bausch & Lomb, Rochester New York. And on the back of the head with LP3152 followed by some US pat. numbers, mostly relating to the gearing mechanisms in the stage. I read somewhere that the LP designation indicates manufacture in 1947 - although I could be wrong here. I saw similar scopes described as a B&L Dynoptic.

Here's the particulars:

Bausch & Lomb Achromat 8.9mm, 1.4mm N.A., Slide 1.5 - 1.6 mm condenser.
AmericanOptical 10x wide field eyepieces

Four objectives, all B&L:

B&L 30mm x 0.09, 3.5x
B&L 16mm x 0.25, 10x
B&L 4mm x 0.65, 43x
B&L Oil Immersion 1.8 x 1.25, 97X

It came in the original wooden crate with Scopelite illuminator (Bakelite Plastic as far as I can tell)..

To me this seems like it was once a pretty bad ass scope. Any thoughts? What have I got here?

V/R

Mike