Greetings everyone from Rio!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Pine

Greetings everyone from Rio!

#1 Post by Pine » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:25 pm

Hello!

I live in Rio de Janeiro - Brazil and I have two very old microscopes. A Reichart I believe it is from 1920's or maybe 1930 and a Zeiss (Maybe B&L I don´t look at it for many, many years).

I did a lot of microscopy at university decades ago, but, even with a master degree in Microbiology, I think of myself as newbie at microscope world.

After some decades away from microbiology my life journey has brought me back to it. I get involved on a project focused on fermentation.

Now it´s time for a new microscope!

If anyone could help I started a thread asking for advice:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5895

Any help will be really appreciated.

Please excuse my poor English skills. It´s not my native language.

Best Regards,

Marcelo.
Last edited by Pine on Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

75RR

Re: Greetings everyone from Rio!

#2 Post by 75RR » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Welcome Pine,

Your Reichert from the 1920s or 1930s is too old but the Zeiss, depending on its age (if it is from the 1950s or 1960s or later), may well be worth resurrecting.
Can you post some photos of it?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

coominya

#3 Post by coominya » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi Marcelo, your English is very good, at least from an Australian perspective. Welcome and I hope you find just the scope you are after.
Tom.

Pine

#4 Post by Pine » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:49 pm

75RR wrote:Welcome Pine,

Your Reichert from the 1920s or 1930s is too old but the Zeiss, depending on its age (if it is from the 1950s or 1960s or later), may well be worth resurrecting.
Can you post some photos of it?
Thank you 75RR,

I can´t remember if it is a Zeiss with some B&L objectives or a B&L with Zeiss objectives. But it is very old too, maybe a couple of decades newer. Both were from my father and he bought them from a company (where he worked for decades). They will be sold by weight as waste and he saved them.

They do not have even a lamp, only mirrors and I can´t imagine a way to install one.

I need to find the "Zeiss" but I´ll post some photos of both.

Regards,

Marcelo.

Pine

#5 Post by Pine » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:55 pm

coominya wrote:Hi Marcelo, your English is very good, at least from an Australian perspective. Welcome and I hope you find just the scope you are after.
Tom.
Thank you Tom,

You are very kind! I hope I could find a good one too!

Regards,

Marcelo.

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:25 pm

Hi Marcelo,
welcome to the forum!

With old microscopes it all depends on condition and what one needs. The instruments from the 1920 or 30s have their drawbacks when it comes to comfort and micro photography. A while ago I had the opportunity to look through a Seibert microscope of this time with good objectives that had been donated by a member of our microscopy group. The image was really good, not much to gain with a newer instrument. It was his first good microscope, this year he is a member of the group for 60 years. :shock:

If you buy a used microscope it would be an advantage to buy something that is plentyful available in your area.

Bob

JimT

#7 Post by JimT » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:38 pm

Welcome Marcelo. Let us know what you decide.

charlie g

#8 Post by charlie g » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:52 pm

Welcome, Marcello, trinocular head equipped used quality phase-contrast microscope, of a major brand, purchased from a reputable seller...my suggestions for your zymurgy microscopy projects.

We in this kind forum have a South American microscopist who is a reputable microscope seller. Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/US

KurtM

#9 Post by KurtM » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:27 am

Welcome Pine!

I wonder if any other native English speakers have noticed that when someone apologizes for their English on the grounds that it isn't their native language, that they almost always use it better, or at least in more charming fashion, than us English-only speakers? 8-)
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

MikeA

#10 Post by MikeA » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:24 pm

Boa Tarde Marcelo!

Welcome to the forum. I spent many pleasant days in Brazil, especially Rio, and miss many things - especially the churrascarias like Porcão; I especially like the one in Barra! A few caipirinhas (made with 51, Ypioca Gold, or best, Beija) were always required!

As you may have already figured out, the answer to your question is not easy, direct, or definitive - most respondents have a normal bias towards one brand or another, or fixed tube length vs. infinity. My input can only come from the direct experience I have had with specific makers.

A brief perusal of the listings on eBay show a wide selection of makes, models, and prices, with the almost standard caveat 'there are no guarantees' for something bought on eBay. On the other hand, it is very possible to get tremendous bargains, often at a tiny fraction of the cost of new equivalent.

I would suggest you have a clear definition of what you want/need/would like to have, stay with the 'big four' (Leitz,Nikon,Olympus,Zeiss) and take your time. If the seller states 'they do not know about the item' I would move on - indeed, it is possible they are being honest, but why take a chance? Same with ability to return the unit in the event it turns out to be problematic - better to 'eat' the return shipping charge as long as it is reasonable.

I also want to add that I have done many transactions on eBay, both buying and selling, approaching 1,000, and have had only very few, indeed, approaching zero, problems, while getting some great deals that would not be had anywhere else.

One final comment - when it comes to optical microscopes, there will always be 'another one' that comes available. You might want to contact some of your old professors (assuming you were in their good graces!) and ask about any programs they might have for used equipment from the university. If nothing else they might be able to put you onto something.
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'