Hello from the Netherlands

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
piilani2000

Hello from the Netherlands

#1 Post by piilani2000 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello everyone!
My dad gave me an old microscope two months ago and during my search which model it was I found this forum. I figured out that it's an olympus EHT-431 and at least 30 years old. It's a phase contrast microscope and so awesome. I'm still at high school and next year i'm planning on studying biology.

75RR

Re: Hello from the Netherlands

#2 Post by 75RR » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:55 pm

Welcome piilani2000, that Olympus EHT-431 is an excellent start to microscopy. Was it your Dad's old microscope?
Do post some images of it in the My microscope section, we would all like to see it.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

piilani2000

#3 Post by piilani2000 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:04 am

Thank you 75RR!
It was used at my dads work for a lot of years, but they bought a new one. I will post pictures of the microscope later today.
Olympus EHT

coominya

#4 Post by coominya » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:44 pm

That's a fine instrument piilani2000, I use one of about the same vintage and love the precision of the controls and optics. Pop down to the Beginner's corner if you have any questions regarding usage, there are a lot of experts on the field residing here that are only too happy to help.
Tom.

piilani2000

#5 Post by piilani2000 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks Tom! Yes the microscope is really great. Couldn't have asked for a beter one. Thanks for the tip. Will keep it in mind :)
Olympus EHT

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Welcome to this forum, piilani! We all wish your school days to lead to a gratifying world of work...and we wish your microscopy to enhance your appreciation of our precious world.

Since your father worked with the phase contrast microscope you now have to learn with...I'm sure your father will help you with proper use of this phase contrast microscope. Please share images in our forum when you have the time. As a high school student, I expect you are very busy with school/family chores/ peer group time demands.

As a highschool student, I expect you to be spending your time in a balance of school/homework/healthy recreation with your high school folks...and sharing in this forum only when you have the time to.

Charlie Guevara, I cheer your intrest in biology, piilani!

MikeA

#7 Post by MikeA » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Hello Piiliani,

Just would like to add my welcome to those already posted - this is one of the best forums on microscopy on the net!

I am not familiar with your particular 'scope, but Olympus made many very fine microscopes and a good friend of mine absolutely loves them, so expect you will be very pleased with yours.

Not sure if you have had much tuition with the phase contrast, but an excellent method and expect you can get plenty of help if needed.

Looking forward to hearing from you on the forum!
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'

piilani2000

#8 Post by piilani2000 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:41 pm

Thanks for the welcomes Charlie and Mike!
charlie g wrote:Please share images in our forum when you have the time
I will do! I have a lot of pretty pictures already :) . And indeed I'm so busy, but i will post when i have time. Being busy with my micrscope is very relaxing.
MikeA wrote:Olympus made many very fine microscopes and a good friend of mine absolutely loves them, so expect you will be very pleased with yours.
I love them too. The quality is really good. Which microscope do you have?
MikeA wrote: Looking forward to hearing from you on the forum
Thank you!!
Olympus EHT

MikeA

#9 Post by MikeA » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:15 pm

Hello Piilani,

I currently have a four Leitz Orthoplan stands as well as an American Optical Stereostar stereo zoom. Started out with an old B&L monocular before moving to AO Microstar 110, then 'graduated' to the Orthoplans. You can read about them at http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... oplan.html

In my opinion, any of the 'big four' (Leitz, Nikon, Olympus, and Zeiss) stands is going to be up to the task, really depends on availability and other more subtle things - what one is used to; what happens to be available; etc.

Looking forward to seeing your photomicrographs.
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:25 pm

FOUR Orthoplans! Wonderful! :D
John B

MikeA

#11 Post by MikeA » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:04 am

As I believe you know, once one gets 'bitten' by the Orthoplan bug, it becomes almost impossible to control! :oops:

At one time I think the total was close to six.
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'