Hello From Toronto

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
fibreoptix

Hello From Toronto

#1 Post by fibreoptix » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi. Just purchased a used Nikon Labophot (1 I guess). It's missing the trinocular tube for the "F" head but since you can not look through the scope and film at the same time, no big deal. I'll use the eyepiece. Anyway I'm new to all this even though I had a highschool scope (Swift m3200) since 1991 and used it here and there with pond water. So I will have plenty of questions in the future, cheers.

75RR

Re: Hello From Toronto

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:22 am

Welcome fibreoptix,

just yell if you need any help - plenty of people willing to lend a hand here.

Do post images of your microscope in the My microscope section when you get the chance.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Welcome to a nice community here, fiberoptix...and family and I indeed enjoy Toronto visits! I have a Nikon labophot with the trinoc head..it's my current 'work horse stand'.

I enjoy live wetmount slide pondlife, protist and meiofauna microscopy. Sooner, rather than latter...I sense you will want a trinoc head on your Nikon labophot...it just makes ergonomic sense when your at a comfortable observation session..my two cents for you! Again, welcome...and oh BTW...I have a lot of Nikon objectives which I might sell very low cost...if you sense a need.

What objectives, what occulars, what substage condenser do you enjoy with your Nikon labophot? Again, welcome!

Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/NY...we love the St.Lawrence river in summer!

fibreoptix

#4 Post by fibreoptix » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Charlie. I have nikon objectives....they might be the originals? 5 slot turret 4, 10, 40, 100 objectives right now. I ordered a 20 and 60 this week from ebay. I have a trinoc head its just missing the tube. Do you have an F mount tube for sale? Then again not sure if i need one. The condenser is - again the original? Not sure what wetmount slide pondlife (OIL?), protist and meiofauna microscopy is but thats why Im here. Im a total amateur that thinks he got a good deal on a decent scope even if its old. Im old and i think Im okay.

My first priority is to film and photograph. I have a canon 5D mk III and a canon g12. Probably gonna shoot through the eyepiece. Then tackle dark feild.

Thanks for the welcome again. I think im gonna like it here.

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:22 pm

Welcome to the forum, fibreoptix!

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:53 pm

Welcome. I'm not very far away but am in T.O. every Sat., to make a living. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with Nikon, only the older J.I.S. 36mm parfocal stuff. I do know some surplus dealers in Toronto, who might be of value to you, though.
I will p.m. you and include my email. They might have some NIkon parts.

fibreoptix

#7 Post by fibreoptix » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:20 pm

apochronaut wrote:Welcome. I'm not very far away but am in T.O. every Sat., to make a living. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with Nikon, only the older J.I.S. 36mm parfocal stuff. I do know some surplus dealers in Toronto, who might be of value to you, though.
I will p.m. you and include my email. They might have some NIkon parts.
Thanks

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:20 pm

If you have a friend with a lathe, should be very easy to machine a replacement tube (out of thick aluminum tubing or just round stock) if you can't find one for your Labophot.

Decide first, if you want to go directly to your camera or use a photo objective. If you have Nikon's "CF" (chrome free) plan objectives, I'd suggest going direct. If you have their lower priced achromat or plan achromats, you'll probably want an Nikon photo lens to get final corrections (maybe $50+).

There are also a number of cheap microscope adapters on Ebay to adapt your camera's mount to a microscope and provide a bit of adjustment. These can typically be adapted to whatever tube you use to get the necessary distance from the back of the microscope to the camera sensor plane.

Charles Kreb's site is super to learn more.

charlie g

#9 Post by charlie g » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:35 pm

Wonderful forum cheer in welcome to you, fiberoptix! If you give me permission...I can post images of the few Nikon Labophot substage condensers I have...the Labophot brochure images...just to 'flesh out' your understanding of which optics you now enjoy on your labophot 'stand'?

It is often quite pleasing to know the 'work history of a stand'...and 'your path to obtaing that stand'...would you share these details for us forum microscopists? Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/US

fibreoptix

#10 Post by fibreoptix » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:59 pm

charlie g wrote:Wonderful forum cheer in welcome to you, fiberoptix! If you give me permission...I can post images of the few Nikon Labophot substage condensers I have...the Labophot brochure images...just to 'flesh out' your understanding of which optics you now enjoy on your labophot 'stand'?

It is often quite pleasing to know the 'work history of a stand'...and 'your path to obtaing that stand'...would you share these details for us forum microscopists? Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/US
Yes please do. I have the manual looks like its the original condenser.

coominya

#11 Post by coominya » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:28 am

Welcome fibreoptix, if there was a poll I do believe pond water would be the most observed subject matter. Look forward to reading your posts.