New member with New Toy!!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
sombre

New member with New Toy!!

#1 Post by sombre » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:57 am

Hello from Yorkshire, UK.
Although I have done quite a lot of macro & extreme macro photography over the years, I am a complete novice when it comes to microscopy.
Hopefully I am now about to rectify that as I have recently acquired an old Olympus microscope.The objectives that i received with the instrument are (4x - 10x -20x - 40x and 100xoil) all these objectives are Olympus SPLAN. I also received a (Leitz NPL Fluotar 25x 0.55) which was mounted in place of the
20x Olympus.
Could anyone please tell me anything about this objective, and why the previous owner would have substituted it for the Olympus objective which appears to be in perfect condition.
Many thanks in anticipation of some kind member broadening my knowledge,

photomicro

Re: New member with New Toy!!

#2 Post by photomicro » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:07 pm

sombre wrote:Hello from Yorkshire, UK.
Although I have done quite a lot of macro & extreme macro photography over the years, I am a complete novice when it comes to microscopy.
Hopefully I am now about to rectify that as I have recently acquired an old Olympus microscope.The objectives that i received with the instrument are (4x - 10x -20x - 40x and 100xoil) all these objectives are Olympus SPLAN. I also received a (Leitz NPL Fluotar 25x 0.55) which was mounted in place of the
20x Olympus.
Could anyone please tell me anything about this objective, and why the previous owner would have substituted it for the Olympus objective which appears to be in perfect condition.
Many thanks in anticipation of some kind member broadening my knowledge,
Greetings to you too, also from Yorkshire.

You don't mention what microscope it is, though the mention of SPlan objectives suggests something like a BH2 or similar.

With regard to your Leitz NPL, is this 170 or 160 tube length?

It is a high quality optic, with a good NA (0.55) but if the microscope has Olympus eyepieces on it, which it should to work properly with this Olympus objectives, then it won't work at it's best with these. As to why it is there...well perhaps the previous owner liked it, or perhaps used it before getting the current Olympus ones. Some amateur users mix and match through cost, preference, luck...but often in a work place it is through ignorance.

If you need more help, and some suggestions as to how to open up your new world by joining a UK Society and attending a few meetings a year, then PM me. There is a Society that meets regularly in Leeds for instance.

Mike

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:17 pm

Congratulations. The SPLANs are excellent quality for the price.
Perhaps the previous owner thought that the Fluotar would give better color correction than the Olympus achromat?

sombre

#4 Post by sombre » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks for the information Mike, the microscope is a BH2/BHS and I got it through an acquaintance who aquired it from a company that was renewing it's older microscopes.
The tube length on the Leitz objective is 160.

photomicro

#5 Post by photomicro » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:20 pm

sombre wrote:Thanks for the information Mike, the microscope is a BH2/BHS and I got it through an acquaintance who aquired it from a company that was renewing it's older microscopes.
The tube length on the Leitz objective is 160.
No problem, glad to help in any way. The BH range was a nice series, dependable, adaptable and ergonomic. A guy called Alan Wood runs a website (just do a search using his name and Olympus) that contains all sorts of useful advice, catalogues, manuals etc. He used to work for Olympus I think, and lives in London. Very nice chap and always willing to help.

The tube length on the Leitz is the same as the Olympus, but earlier ones were 170, which is why I asked.

What sort of subjects are you interested in looking at?

Let me know if you need blank slides, cover-slips, chemicals etc.

Mike

sombre

#6 Post by sombre » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:08 pm

Apologies for not sending (PM) Mike but it seems the forum doesn't allow new members this facillity
Regarding your kind offer of further help and advice i will certainly take you up on that, and .would be grateful for more information about the Leeds society.
Many Thanks,
John

photomicro

#7 Post by photomicro » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:12 am

sombre wrote:Apologies for not sending (PM) Mike but it seems the forum doesn't allow new members this facillity
Regarding your kind offer of further help and advice i will certainly take you up on that, and .would be grateful for more information about the Leeds society.
Many Thanks,
John
Hi John

sent you a reply by PM in the hope that this means you can reply by that means too.

Let me know if you got it.

thanks, Mike