Nikon parts/how to repair fine focus knob?

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
NJH

Nikon parts/how to repair fine focus knob?

#1 Post by NJH » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:42 pm

Does anyone know where to find parts for a Nikon microscope? I need a footpad.

Also, the Manual I found for the scope has almost NO INFORMATION about the actual "workings" of the scope or how to repair/maintain the scope.

I need to adjust the fine focus - it turns, then has a big "slip", then grabs and turns again.
The coarse focus seems to be okay, after cleaning and lubricating. I was able to adjust the ring (the one that lays against the scope body) for coarse, but can't figure out the fine focus!

And, can an "external" light source be added...like an LED ring or some such? I think the brightness is not quite good enough, but the bulb seems okay because it does come on and dim/brighten appropriately. The scope says 30W, but then just down from there is a note that reads "use only 20W bulbs" - I don't know electrical stuff - can a 30W be used??

Can anyone help with this?

As you can tell, I'm a newbie at owning a scope; I've used scopes a lot in hospitals, clinics, etc., but we weren't allowed to do anything with them but view slides...no maintenance or repairs allowed!!

Nikon Alphaphot YS

MichaelG.

Re: Nikon parts/how to repair fine focus knob?

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:30 pm

NJH wrote: ... I need to adjust the fine focus - it turns, then has a big "slip", then grabs and turns again.
The coarse focus seems to be okay, after cleaning and lubricating. I was able to adjust the ring (the one that lays against the scope body) for coarse, but can't figure out the fine focus!

Nikon Alphaphot YS
I think [fear] that this may be relevant:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=27917

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:48 pm

There exists a detailed instruction manual for repair of the Optiphot focus mechanism. It is a lengthy and labor-intensive procedure, and several experienced forum members have suggested to me to leave it alone (so I did). But, If relevant, I can try to locate it though.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:25 pm

The Nikon Labophot and Optiphot are infamous for having a broken plastic fine focus gear. Otherwise, terrific scopes. These scopes were built around the time of the movie "The Graduate" -- and the advice to Dustin Hoffman and everyone back then was that the future was "plastics." Turns out the molded-on small plastic fine focus gear would separate or slip; especially if users counter-rotated the fine focus gears (as is done in some scopes to tighten the feel).

Fortunately, the fix is fairly easy for at least some Nikon scopes -- and an Ebay seller has sourced a metal replacement gear and provides a complete kit with everything needed for the repair. Recollection is that it's under $50.

First time you do it will require a bit of head scratching and following of instructions. If there's a second or third time (I've done four), it's maybe a ten minute job. Note that there are separate kits for the Labophot/Optiphot 1 and 2 series. Looking back -- seems you have an Alphaphot and I don't know if the problem and the repair is the same. The Ebay seller "Lothman" might be able to help:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Labophot ... m570.l1313

As to your lamp wattage question, I wouldn't try a 30 watt lamp in a scope designed to power 20 watts. Might work for a while, but could easily burn out the power supply over time. I suspect your scope draws 30 watts; but with various transformer etc. losses is designed to handle just a 20 watt lamp.

NJH

#5 Post by NJH » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:55 am

Thanks everyone for the comments on the focus knobs, shafts, gears, etc.; it is very helpful and much appreciated.

One question I have is: my fine focus knob does not have a screw on the "cover" of the knob...it has 2 phillips-head screw places on the "wheel" portion, which the ones in the photos (displayed here in the forum) did not have...does the Alphaphot coarse/fine focus probably work the same way, even though the actual screw mechanisms are different?

I believe in the one (really SHORT, not-particularly-informative) manual I have found, it says to pull them straight off from the shaft, but I haven't gotten a phillips-head screwdriver small enough to get them loosened yet! (tomorrow, I'm making a trip to the store on the way home!!!)

I'm still not able to get ANYTHING clear on 100X - I won't say yet that it isn't the focus - but can anyone tell me why I might be getting good resolution on 4X, 10X, but not on 100X? Is it a coverslip issue, objective quality issue or is the "focus knob" fix likely to make the improvement?

Obviously, I'm really new to this and learning as I go...luckily, I'm not in too many $$s that I can't spend some on parts and repairs. I kinda like that I'm having to learn about these things...if, after all of this, I find myself "bored" with the Alphaphot YS, I feel like I'll be better prepared to "upgrade" and be willing to invest a bit more for a great scope!!!

Again, thanks for your expertise...you ALL have already helped me a LOT!!!

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:26 am

Regarding the small Phillips screwdriver you hope to get -- many bits of Japanese optical kits used "JIS" standard screwdrivers -- every so slightly different from Phillips. Best to get the proper ones, since brass screws are at risk of stripping if you use a Phillips equivalent. Amazon will have sets - search for "JIS cross point" screwdriver.

zzffnn

#7 Post by zzffnn » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:36 am

NJH,

Regarding footpads, you would have to use 4 of the exact same footpads (don't mix different pads with different thickness or firmness). Such as 4 small furniture felt pads, or one big rubber pad under the entire scope.

Go safe on wattage. 10w LED is usually more than enough for beginners.

You may want to return your Alphaphot or get a partial refund. Alphaphot is likely less upgradable. Sometimes you may have a Labophot or Optiphot bare stand for $100 (I found my Optiphot stand for $100 locally and moved over some of my Labophot parts). Look into local surplus sales, from universities, government agencies or hospitals.

There are a few differences versions of Labophots and Optiphots. And sometimes previous owners may mix/change parts. Add to the fact that Alphaphot is yet different than Labophots and Optiphots (not many hobbyists have Alphaphots and documentation is less available).

Many things can go wrong at the 100x objective. You may want to be very specific about what you had/did and provides lots of photos and descriptions. That way others can help you better.

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:02 am

I'd second Fan's recommendation to return the broken Alphaphot and look for a Labophot or (if you're lucky) a complete Optiphot. Still might have the broken focus gear -- but a better scope to build upon.

NJH

#9 Post by NJH » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi All,

Well, I'm going to try to post a photo here of what I've gotten to so far on my Nikon Alphaphot YS, coarse/fine focus assembly. I have two "manuals" (although pretty useless for the most part) that show a completely different looking assembly; can anyone tell if mine is something that someone put in "aftermarket" or how to proceed removing the shaft assembly?

On another note, I just purchased a Labophot POL from a laboratory (surplus equipment) in an AZ university. So, I'm also trying to find a manual for it, if anyone has info. (I'll look more here on the forum too, since I know a lot of the manuals are referenced on here).

Thanks in advance for any help!!! (Nikon is of NO USE for this kind of thing.)
Attachments
YS fine focus assembly_1.JPG
YS fine focus assembly_1.JPG (63.04 KiB) Viewed 21128 times
Alphaphot YS logo.JPG
Alphaphot YS logo.JPG (24.9 KiB) Viewed 21128 times

Hobbyst46

#10 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Have you tried this manual for body repair, here is what its first page reads:

Nikon
OPTlPHOT LABOPHOT BODY REPAIR MANUAL

The repair guide for a beginner as well as an experienced
technician

NlPPON KOGAKU K.K. lnstruments group

To locate it on the web, search for example the text "L0180 OPTIPHOT LABOPHOT BODY".
Downloadable from:
[PDF]Labophot/Optiphot
https://lavinia.as.arizona.edu/.../L018 ... 20BODY.pd..

NJH

#11 Post by NJH » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Hobbyist46,
Thanks for the reference; that is the manual that I have, but the Alphaphot YS does not look like that, so I'm trying to find something that looks like the photo I posted.
I do think that manual will be very useful for my Labophot 2 POL when I get it, but for now I'm trying to work on the Alphaphot.

I will continue looking....but thanks again for your prompt reply!

MichaelG.

#12 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote: https://lavinia.as.arizona.edu/.../L018 ... 20BODY.pd..
Thanks for the reference
Not sure why, but your link is condensed and did not work on my iPad
Here [hopefully] it is in full, for the benefit of others:
https://lavinia.as.arizona.edu/~mtuell/ ... 20BODY.pdf

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

CocasDaNeve

#13 Post by CocasDaNeve » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:21 am

I'm a bit late to the party, but I reckon it's worth leaving this note for future reference, as this is one of the top google search results regarding focusing problems with the Alphaphot YS.

I ended up with that exact model, Alphaphot YS, and I also had trouble with the fine focus, it was constantly jumping around. I actually spent a whole day taking everything apart and back together, and while doing it I ended up seeing all those people complaining about broken plastic gears. It feels that this alphaphot is a lower-grade microscope than those you guys are talking about, but there are good news, instead of having that complex gear mechanism that links the fine focus to the coarse focus, where the fine focus turns very vast by itself when you adjust the coarse focus (like in my Zeiss), these (at least mine) Alphaphot YS have a much cheaper and simple mechanism where the coarse focus drives a worm gear directly and the fine focus just moves the worm gear side to side very slowly, but if you keep moving the fine focus it will end up hitting a limiter and you have to recenter it and compensate a bit with the coarse focus, but there is so much range in the fine focus screw that this rarely happens. The good news is that other than some plastic bushings all the parts are metal, lots of steel and brass, and the problems in mine were all caused by old grease that was making everything stuck and jumping around, I cleaned everything and re-greased it and it's working fine now, I actually also had to do the same to the stage, those linear bearings were a pain to clean, but I think it was worth it.

Like the OP I was having trouble disassembling, and that's why I tried to get further documentation and ended up here, but in the end there was not much information and I ended up doing it my own way. I regret not taking more photos, that was an oversight, but here is what I did:
- I removed the rear cover, held by two screws, then I adjusted the coarse focus so that the screws that hold the stage line up with the holes in the rear.
- I removed those screws (4, I believe) and the stage came off.
- In the front of the microscope, with the stage off, we now can remove the front cover, held by 4 screws.
- Now we can see the Z-axis linear bearing that moves the stage up and down to focus, I took all the screws off the side rails that hold it in place and removed it (be careful because there are around 20 small ball bearings that might fall, also make sure you don't lose that plastic spacers that are used between the ball bearings to make them stay apart). It's important to thoroughly clean everything as the old dried up grease was what was causing all my problems.
- With the rail taken off we can see the worm gear of the focusing mechanism, we have to unscrew the focusing knobs like the OP showed in his photo.
- Now we have to take the focusing assembly out, it is held in place by two screws in the back, where initially we unscrewed the stage.
- Now that we removed the knobs and the screws the focusing mechanism comes out.
- Now we need to loosen the hex screws in the side of the brass parts that fix them to the shaft and everything unscrews together, we end up with this:
- I removed those 3 screws visible in the base and now we have everything disassembled. It's important to keep track of those plastic bushings and spacers and remember to put them in place again.
- Now that everything is apart clean it thoroughly and remove all the grease. It is important to make sure you don't use solvents that might damage the plastic parts, I would avoid stuff like acetone. Also, make sure you clean all the residue in the rails and ball bearings.

Now that everything is clean just reassemble everything in the reverse order you took them apart. It is, of course, critical that you re-grease everything again as you are assembling it (it also makes the ball bearings stay in place while you are reassembling it, making it a lot easier). I used a quality lithium grease that I know is not corrosive and that will not drip at normal ambient temperatures, if you want to be thorough use what the manufacturer recommends, I couldn't really be bothered.

ChrisR

#14 Post by ChrisR » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:52 am

NJH wrote: I just purchased a Labophot POL from a laboratory (surplus equipment) in an AZ university. So, I'm also trying to find a manual for it, if anyone has info.
Hi NJH
I just read this.
I have A manual for the Optiphot pol. I can't remember where it came from. If you can't find one online I can upload it somewhere. It's not ever-so useful!

FredH

#15 Post by FredH » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:29 pm

I just got a used Nikon Alphaphot YS whose focus mechanism was in bad shape due to hardened grease. After fumbling through the disassembly and cleaning of the focus mechanism here's how I wish I had proceeded:

Note that there are several plastic thrust washers and a spring which must be replaced in their original positions.

1. On the right side of the microscope (the side opposite power switch / lamp brightness adjust) between the right coarse focus knob and the body of the microscope is the focus tension adjustment ring. Loosen the three nylon-tipped setscrews in this ring and turn the ring for minimum focus tension. This will move the tension adjustment ring toward the microscope body and relieve the spring pressure between the ring and the coarse focus knob (and will allow the stage to drop down if the mechanism is not caked with dried grease.)

2. Remove the screw from the left fine focus knob and pull the left fine focus knob off the fine focus bushing (a). Then remove the three screws which hold the left coarse focus knob to the coarse focus bushing (b) and remove the knob. Loosen the two setscrews which hold the fine focus bushing to the fine focus shaft and pull the fine focus bushing off the shaft. Also remove the fine focus thrust bearing (c) (two thrust plates and a thrust ball bearing). Back off the three setscrews which lock the coarse focus bushing and unscrew the coarse focus bushing from the coarse focus shaft. Keep track of the plastic coarse focus thrust washer.

3. The right coarse focus knob, fine focus knob, focus shafts, and focus pinion can now be withdrawn from the right side of the microscope. Remove the three screws which hold the focus pinion (d) to the cross-shaped brass fine focus nut (e). Pull the focus pinion off the coarse focus shaft. The brass fine focus nut is free to move axially within the right coarse focus knob, but is constrained to rotate with the right coarse focus knob. Pull the right fine focus knob, along with the brass fine focus nut, from the right coarse focus knob.

The brass fine focus nut can now be unscrewed from the fine focus shaft (f); there is no need to remove the right fine focus knob from the fine focus shaft.

4. The dried grease can now be cleaned from the focus components and replaced with fresh grease, and the focus mechanism reassembled. Note the brass fine focus stop (g) which must be assembled in the correct orientation so its tabs lock into the slot in the shaft.

5. Insert the focus assembly back into the microscope. Screw on the coarse focus bushing just far enough to remove axial play but allow free rotation of the coarse focus pinion, then lock it in place with its three setscrews. Install the fine focus thrust bearing and fine focus bushing; push the fine focus shaft to the left (to take up spring tension) and install the fine focus bushing so there is no axial motion. Lock the fine focus bushing in plasce with its two setscrews against the flat on the fine focus shaft.

6. Install the left focus knobs and adjust the focus tension ring.

Hope this helps someone.
Attachments
focus_left_side_smaller.JPG
focus_left_side_smaller.JPG (48.43 KiB) Viewed 9663 times
focus_right_side_smaller.JPG
focus_right_side_smaller.JPG (83.58 KiB) Viewed 9663 times
fine_focus_stop_smaller.JPG
fine_focus_stop_smaller.JPG (69.51 KiB) Viewed 9663 times

J_WISC

#16 Post by J_WISC » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:03 am

FredH wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:29 pm
I just got a used Nikon Alphaphot YS whose focus mechanism was in bad shape due to hardened grease. After fumbling through the disassembly and cleaning of the focus mechanism here's how I wish I had proceeded:
Hello FredH.

Were you able to perform the described steps by just pulling the focusing mechanism out? Or does it require removing the stage? I'm very nervous about the earlier comments regarding removing the stage and keeping track of the ball bearings.

Thank you for the post and any advice.

(I acquired a used Alphaphot YS from UW SWAP. There were other issues, already solved. But the fine focus knob moves the coarse focus knob. If you're near Madison, I might consider paying someone to repair the focus mechanism.)

FredH

#17 Post by FredH » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:31 am

Hello,

I believe I performed the described steps by just pulling the focus mechanism out as described in my post. I did not need to remove the condensor stage, and did not encounter any loose balls.

If your problem with the focus mechanism is just hardened grease, I think you will find it pretty easy to disassemble and assemble the mechanism following the steps in my previous post, providing you keep track of the locations of the various spacers. If anything is not clear, ask (and perhaps I will be able to remember).

I do live near Madison, but I doubt that you will have any problems.

FredH

J_WISC

#18 Post by J_WISC » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:48 pm

Good morning or afternoon or evening, wherever you are.

I finally found time to clean/repair my Nikon Alphaphot YS2. All is going to plan, according to the awesome instructions shared above.

BUT ...

I cannot slide the focus pinion off the metal shaft. It moves about a centimeter. That's all. I do not want to force it. Is there a trick? Does it require a twist? Or is the grease so dry I just have to pull a bit harder? Add some sort of solvent? I do not want to damage something, since the fine focus issue is probably just the grease. There's no sign of damaged, cracked, or bent parts.

Please advise.

THANKS!!!!

FredH

#19 Post by FredH » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:43 pm

Hi,

I don't recall any trick to getting the focus pinion off the shaft. With the end of the shaft exposed, you should be able to clean any grease off the end of the shaft with Ronsonol or some other solvent, and perhaps get some solvent in between the shaft and the pinion. After you've done this, if you can't pull the pinion off the shaft, perhaps with a twisting motion, check the shaft for burrs. As I recall, I didn't need any tricks or much force to remove the pinion from the shaft.

J_WISC

#20 Post by J_WISC » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:00 am

Hi FredH.

I decided to drip a little a sewing machine oil between the shaft and pinion, and the pinion slid off without much additional effort. I suspect the grease between the shaft and pinion was the problem.

I cleaned everything up today and, after a little stress trying to insert the assembly back into the scope, SUCCESS! Thanks.

The assembly did not go back into the scope as easy as it came out. I was afraid of damaging the threads on the gears, and I started to remove the stage and other parts, but couldn't bring myself to remove the rack. So I patiently tried inserting the assembly again and it finally dropped into place.

I guess it was good fortune to get the Alphaphot instead of the other Nikon student microscopes. No plastic gears and easy to disassemble and reassemble the focusing mechanism if necessary. I just wish it was easier to slip it back in when done. The secret ingredient appears to be patience.

Anyone else considering this repair ... TAKE PHOTOS at every step. I took photos and more photos at every step and it was very helpful when it was time to put everything back together. Also, use double-stick tape for holding the tiny screws to your work tray or bench.

John

J_WISC

#21 Post by J_WISC » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:30 pm

I took it apart again. There was a weird click. Problem solved.

I'm posting another comment because I was terrified of removing the focusing gears again because it was so difficult to slide the assembly back into the microscope body. But I learned something!!! I tried sliding the assembly in without the spring. And I determined the small white washer between the pinion and the spring was the problem. The small white washer was snagging on the rack or something I couldn't see. I trimmed just a little bit off the washer so it's smaller, but still fulfills its job and ... I slid the assembly right into its proper place, no problems whatsoever!

Theory: Decades of sitting in grease under slight pressure from the spring maybe softened and deformed the white plastic washer.