New Member from Seattle

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Bryan

New Member from Seattle

#1 Post by Bryan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:35 am

Hello from the Seattle. My history with microscopes has to do with my degree in Geology. I spent a lot of time in the Geology lab looking at thin sections through a PLM microscope. After I graduated with my degree my first job was working in a laboratory analyzing asbestos samples with a PLM microscope. I also analyzed air samples on filters using a Phase Contrast microscope. After about a year of that a better job opportunity came up that got me out of the lab and into the field more. I still enjoy using a microscope every now and then, however, had I stuck to the lab job I think I may have lost my enjoyment of microscopes.

I joined this forum because I still get out a cheap old microscope every now and then and I have been entertaining the thought of upgrading to something nicer. One of my other hobbies is film photography and I do have some Leitz attachments for attaching an old Leica camera to a microscope. I think it would have to be a vintage microscope that will accept it so I may have some questions in regards to that.

coominya

Re: New Member from Seattle

#2 Post by coominya » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Interesting story Bryan, it's always good to hear where a person comes from and a bit of their life story. You are certainly dedicated to stick with the old film and am sure you'll find the right scope to marry your camera to. I loved film in the day, the Pentax ME-super was my tool and I spent many happy hours roaming city and country shooting subjects. Now I have transitioned to digital and am just trying to relearn the old skills lost in 2 decades of camera phone usage. They call them smart phones but as a consequence, they make people dumb, or at the very least make them lose the old skills. (my apologies for expressing such a strong opinion, but there it is :D )

I look forward to seeing some of your workmanship.
Last edited by coominya on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bryan

Re: New Member from Seattle

#3 Post by Bryan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 pm

coominya wrote:Interesting story Bryan, it's always good to hear where a person comes from and a bit of their life story. You are certainly dedicated to stick with the old film and am sure you'll find the right scope to marry your camera too. I loved film in my day, the Pentax ME-super was my tool and I spent many happy hours roaming city and country shooting subjects. Now I have transitioned to digital and am just trying to relearn the old skills lost in 2 decades of camera phone usage. They call them smart phones but as a consequence, they make people dumb, or at the very least make them lose the old skills. (my apologies for expressing such a strong opinion, but there it is :D )

I look forward to seeing some of your workmanship.
I tried digital photography but didn't get excited about it. When I found that people were practically giving away those old film cameras that I used to lust after I got back into film. I love the whole process including developing my own film. The only thing I use my digital camera for is scanning negatives.