Hello from Newfoundland

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
PeterArmitage

Hello from Newfoundland

#1 Post by PeterArmitage » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:27 pm

I just purchased an old Carl Zeiss Jena Amplival phase contrast microscope that I found in an antique shop in western Canada. I want to use it for apicultural applications such as Nosema spp. spore counts and pollen identification in honey, bee bread, etc. It's been 40 years since I took university biology courses that required microscopy so I'm at the beginning of my re-learning curve. First steps are renovating the old microscope.

MicroBob

Re: Hello from Newfoundland

#2 Post by MicroBob » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi Peter,
welcome to the forum!
With your Amplival you have a really good instrument once you have overhauled it. There is also a good used market for parts for it on german ebay.
If you have specific questions regarding you Amplival, you might ask in the german www.mikroskopie-forum.de. There are people there who know how to get it going. I myself like the Zeiss Jena microscopes very much, but I stick with one gereration older, the NF, NG and LG, so I can't help you with specific questions.

Bob

PeterArmitage

#3 Post by PeterArmitage » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:55 am

Thanks for that advice, Bob. Appreciated!

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Welcome Peter! I'm guessing your climate zone gives your bees a short and strict growing season. Best of luck with your microscope reclaimation to function. For those dam mites think about a low cost used stereo-microscope acquisition. For your honey/pollen observations indeed a 100X oil-objective on your stand is crucial to my thinking. Sorry I have no experience with the stand your bringing back to a functional life. Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/US

PeterArmitage

#5 Post by PeterArmitage » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks for your message, Charlie. We do not have Varroa destructor or tracheal mite in our honey bees in Newfoundland, but I intend to use my cheap stereo-microscope for monitoring purposes with respect to tracheal mite. I have a profile of apiculture in the province in the November issue of the AMERICAN BEE JOURNAL.

exmarine

#6 Post by exmarine » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi Peter, you are lucky not to have Varroa because they can if not treated kill off a colony of bees within one year. I have been keeping bees now for 19 years. They still fascinate me.
Thank you :shock:
Best regards
exmarine :x

uses Watson 'Service' 1950 compound.
uses Watson Stereo 1960 ish.

PeterArmitage

#7 Post by PeterArmitage » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:13 pm

Gerd, on the German Mikro-Forum tells me this is not an Amplival microscope. It's an Ergaval. He provided relevant documentation. Thanks Gerd!

coominya

#8 Post by coominya » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:17 am

PeterArmitage wrote:I just purchased an old Carl Zeiss Jena Amplival phase contrast microscope
First steps are renovating the old microscope.
Hi, and welcome. I just found this, if it's of any use to you.
viewtopic.php?t=6536