New starter

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
waterman

New starter

#1 Post by waterman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi all from the UK.
I'm new to microscopy and I have an interested in the freshwater microscopic world.
While I'm not quite old enough to retire, I'm looking for a challenge and need to learn something different after 30 years in aerospace engineering.
I'm hoping to learn from all you experts out there and increase my knowledge of this fascinating subject.
I have a reasonable trinocular microscope with a DSLR attached and I hope to share some pictures with you, as well as getting help identifying some of the more obscure specimens.
Mike

photomicro

Re: New starter

#2 Post by photomicro » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:28 pm

waterman wrote:Hi all from the UK.
I'm new to microscopy and I have an interested in the freshwater microscopic world.
While I'm not quite old enough to retire, I'm looking for a challenge and need to learn something different after 30 years in aerospace engineering.
I'm hoping to learn from all you experts out there and increase my knowledge of this fascinating subject.
I have a reasonable trinocular microscope with a DSLR attached and I hope to share some pictures with you, as well as getting help identifying some of the more obscure specimens.
Mike
Welcome from another Mike in the UK. You are bound to find much wisdom through the pages of this forum, and indeed, in my experience the amateur microscopy community.

Do get in touch if you need UK-based help in getting hold of supplies, or just advice. I have many years experience of microscopes within the education world and the hobby situation.

As no doubt you are finding out, it is a whole new fascinating world.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum!
In the UK there are several microcopical societies so you might have a look where the one next to you is.
I myself am a member of the MIKRO Hamburg and several of our members drive 1,5 hours one way just not to miss the meetings.
For your water life studies it would be good to have a guide to roughly identify what you see - a book for the amateur with all in on 300 pages or so. I can't recommend anything in english language though.

Do you have a placton net or sieve? Water life is not very concentrated and has to be concentrated to get a good look.

Bob

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:21 pm

Welcome Mike, Oliver Kim started a terrific microscopy platform here. Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/US

waterman

#5 Post by waterman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:57 am

Thanks all

Helpful replies already!

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:50 am

Welcome to the forum Mike. I'm also in the U.K. (Cumbria in fact)
John B

MichaelG.

#7 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Welcome aboard, Mike

I am sending you a note [please check your private messages]

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'