Hello from Gainsborough, England

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Sinar

Hello from Gainsborough, England

#1 Post by Sinar » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:25 am

Hi,

It’s lovely to join this forum, I’ve spent the last few days reading through many posts learning so much.

When I was much younger (about 4 decades ago), I used to enjoy using a microscope as a hobby, I had a very basic monocular microscope that was little more than a toy, but I got so much pleasure visiting a local pond to examine microscopic aquatic life and generally observing small natural life around me.

I’ve decided it’s a hobby that I’d like to take up again and am looking to buy a microscope, ideally a binocular model, or perhaps even Trinocular as I enjoy photography.

I’m considering a new Chinese microscope or a second hand older model, I still have so much to learn about features and specifications.

Thanks for allowing me to join the forum

Julie

Hobbyst46

Re: Hello from Gainsborough, England

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:19 am

Welcome Julie!

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:35 am

Hi Julie,
welcome to the forum!
There are quite a few microscopy groups and clubs in England. I would suggest to have a look for the nearest one and make contact. It is more fun to do microscopy in a group as you constantly get new impulses and help if needed. They can probably point you towards a good microscope buy too.
Altogether a used microscope of the better companies, complete and in good working condition is the best buy. But there are lots of abused old microscopes on the market that would need parts and extensive service to get them going again. So buying for the newbie is not easy.

Bob

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:44 am

Welcome, Julie ... This is a great forum

Given your alias; are you also a 'large format' photographer ?

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

photomicro

#5 Post by photomicro » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Sinar wrote:Hi,

It’s lovely to join this forum, I’ve spent the last few days reading through many posts learning so much.

When I was much younger (about 4 decades ago), I used to enjoy using a microscope as a hobby, I had a very basic monocular microscope that was little more than a toy, but I got so much pleasure visiting a local pond to examine microscopic aquatic life and generally observing small natural life around me.

I’ve decided it’s a hobby that I’d like to take up again and am looking to buy a microscope, ideally a binocular model, or perhaps even Trinocular as I enjoy photography.

I’m considering a new Chinese microscope or a second hand older model, I still have so much to learn about features and specifications.

Thanks for allowing me to join the forum

Julie
Have sent you a pm, which you have to log in to see.

Mike

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Welcome to a terrific forum ( thank you, Oliver Kim), Julie. I hope you can purchase a trinocular head scope..a used scope from a major firm. I love pondlife microscopy! Charlie guevara

wstenberg

#7 Post by wstenberg » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:46 am

Welcome to the Forum!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar