A 50 Year Hiatus

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
JMK

A 50 Year Hiatus

#1 Post by JMK » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:42 am

At Last!
Started out with pond water in the 1960’s and a Gilbert microscope. In college, was able to use a Zeiss Phase Scope to my hearts content to assist the professor in my Parasitology class for a BA degree. Was extremely fascinated with Protozoa but deemed it was necessary to get on with life and “put it on the back burner” . Then there was medical school, a family, and a career in Neurological Surgery. FAST FORWARD- Well it’s a half-century later, and I just went part time. Pulled out my son’s LW Scientific Scope which had not been used for 20 years, and so the Protozoa Party is about to begin!

Thanks for providing such a wonderful service/website. The YouTube videos are great!
Attachments
Let the Protozoa Party Begin!
Let the Protozoa Party Begin!
96AAB336-BF13-4919-B714-07E1C5806F44.jpeg (132.33 KiB) Viewed 3987 times

gastrotrichman

Re: A 50 Year Hiatus

#2 Post by gastrotrichman » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:07 am

Congratulations. I made a similar transition a few years ago, and highly recommend it.
gastrotrichman

Nikon Microphot
Leitz Orthoplan
Wild M8
Bausch & Lomb MicroZoom

mike

#3 Post by mike » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:39 pm

What a strange coincidence. I have just started the microscope mania again after a long time. I found an Olympus BH2 outside in the university trash heap. Bought it home and repaired it. The following week an old TDM Nikon Diaphot appeared which the janitor alerted me to. This had some major issues with solidified grease and 4-5 stuck mechanisms. Nearly broke back getting into car and bringing home. Problem is now the broken fine focus mechanism. The use of a plastic gear wheel on many Nikon and Olympus focus mechanisms was a very poor choice IMHO and is an Achilles heel. Any suggestions on where to buy a replacement gear wheel would be appreciated. There is a kit on E Bay for 50USD. Gear wheels can cost as little as 1 USD but I am not sure of the size/dimensions. I am also going to start a Protozoa party and will try to show family some Ameoba and Euglenoids.

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Hi JMK and mike, welcome
I found an Olympus BH2 outside in the university trash heap.
Gives bin diving a whole new perspective.

Here is a useful link in case you have not come across it.

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... tml#repair

Carl Hunsinger's detailed Olympus BH-2 repair manuals are reason enough to get one - if another reason was needed.

Main page: http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... loads.html

I am afraid I have not come across something similar for Nikon.
Last edited by 75RR on Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:08 pm

For the Nikon Optiphot, there is a document with a very amusing title on the top page. Look for a document called like this:
"Nikon OPTlPHOT LABOPHOT BODY REPAIR MANUAL
The repair guide for a beginner as well as an experienced
technician"
In the internet. It should be downloadable.

Not that it makes the Optiphot easily repairable...