Hello from Columbus, OH

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
bphuber

Hello from Columbus, OH

#1 Post by bphuber » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:55 am

I am Brian Huber, recently retired.
I spent my college years as a biology major, mainly in microscopy. I had the good fortune to get the position as a senior to stock and manage the new Life Sciences stockroom at Indiana State Univ. I built the stockroom from scratch and also got to select student microscopes as well as put together demonstrations from the major manufacturers of microscopes in 1968 (a long time ago).
Additionally, I was the research assistant for the chairman of the department and got to purchase and use a Wild M20 fluorescence system to study thermal bacteria in the Wabash River.
A few years after school I purchased my own Olympus BH phase scope, but had to sell it due to family circumstances. Drat!!
But, now I'm retired and can get back to some things I love...
So, I've purchased a Nikon Diaphot phase scope and an Olympus VM stereo scope as well as putting together another BH scope from ebay. Going the parts route, I now have 3 frames, 2 trinoc heads, a mono head, 2 phase sets and various lights including 2 epi units that I'm trying to ascertain their exact function as they are not shown in the Olympus lit that I've seen.
The extra parts I have will be used to supply scopes to an underfunded nature center where I volunteer.

I'd love to get into DIC microscopy, but I'm choking on the price! I saw that demonstrated at ISU by Nikon and was blown away, never forgetting it.

If anyone needs some spare parts for Olympus BH series, let me know.

einman

Re: Hello from Columbus, OH

#2 Post by einman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:29 am

Welcome Brian! You will find the forum members to be congenial and very knowledgeable .

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:53 am

Welcome. I am also using an Olympus VMZ and like it a lot.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6722&p=60042&hilit=VMZ#p60042

JMK

#4 Post by JMK » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:47 pm

Welcome - there is no hobby quite like this one - Enjoy !

charlie g

#5 Post by charlie g » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Welcome Brian...so my question for you is...are you going to infinity optics pretty much..or are you keeping with finite optical stands too?!

Thanks for sharing your interesting career steps.microscopy imbued your worklife. Charlie Guevara who also ponders how to get to a DIC system.