The QCC from Kitchener, ON Canada

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
The QCC

The QCC from Kitchener, ON Canada

#1 Post by The QCC » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:00 am

It's a forum rebirth and time for re-introductions.
I am Carl Hennig, a retired computer consultant/engineer.
My current interests are cars, model building, photography and of course microscopy.
My main microscope is a Labomed LB-592 polarizing scope with a Canon 5D MkII mounted on the photo port. The secondary microscope is a Labomed CxL LED monocular with an OMAX 10MP camera sitting in the view port.
For image management and post processing I use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.

joe307

Re: The QCC from Kitchener, ON Canada

#2 Post by joe307 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:24 am

Hello Mr. Carl Hennig,

I apologize for bothering you.
I am a student at University of Waterloo and I've recently decided to buy my first
microscope. Since you're from this area maybe you could help me with some
information.

I've searched on the internet for both microscopy clubs or microscopy
experts in the region and did not find any. Do you know any? What about in
other nearby regions?(e.g. Toronto)

The reason I am looking for a microscopy club or expert is that I would
need help in testing or troubleshooting the microscope after I bought it.
In case it has problems I could return it within 14 days of purchase(e.g.
In case I buy from microscopenet.com).

I've read a lot about microscopes, in the past weeks. My decision has
narrowed down to microscopenet.com and the big names(Meiji, Olympus, Carl
Zeiss). What do you say about microscopenet.com? The OMAX microscopes seem
to have the same features as the big name ones, so I am afraid I'd pay more
just for the name in case I'd bought from one of the very revered
companies.

I'm looking for a microscope which has plan objectives and the phase
contrast features to start with.(it should allow a lot of upgrades)

Thank you in advance,

Joe

The QCC

Microscopes and clubs

#3 Post by The QCC » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Joe:
There are no dedicated microscope clubs in our area, but there are Science Clubs. I suggest you contact the Science Faculty at U of W.

As for microscopes Microscopenet.ca has several microscopes with phase contrast kits.
The microscopes from Microscopenet are all from China and generally of decent quality. I have dealt with them and they offer reasonable pricing and good service.
BUT, their microscopes are not in the same class as Olympus, Nikon and Zeiss. On paper the specifications look similar. The differences show up in the quality of the optics and mechanical operation.

There is a business in Kitchener, KW telescopes that sells microscopes. You may want to contact them and enquire if they have any microscopes in stock you can look and touch. You may also want to contact MicroscopeNet.ca at
C-54 Beasley Dr, Kitchener, ON N2E 1Y6
519-896-5880
The location is their Canadian warehouse, but if you ask politely, they may let you touch a phase contrast scope.

joe307

Re: Microscopes and clubs

#4 Post by joe307 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Thank you for your answer.
I'm a mathematics students and I've called the biological department and they said that I need consent from a professor(for research). I've called in other places(general science) and they've told me to call the biological department.
I've also called the biology club(at UW) and they've told me that they don't know much about microscopes and that I can't join their club in case that I'm a math student.

The QCC

#5 Post by The QCC » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:46 pm

The University has not changed since I retired.

Try phoning KW Telescopes and United Scopes and see if they have anything to offer.

joe307

#6 Post by joe307 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:05 am

Hello Mr. Carl Henning,

Since I've created this account recently, I do not have the privileges(from the host of the website) of replying to the message, so I will reply here.

Thank you for offering to help me!

After a lot of phone calls to various staff at the university, a technician offered me a one time visit to see one of their microscope. But, that microscope has very basic features(not even the 100x oil immersion objective).

What I had in mind was to buy a microscopenet.com microscope and compare it with a microscope from one of the "big-name" companies. In case there was a big difference, I would give microscopenet.com(they have the 14 days money back deal) back their microscope and buy the more expensive one.

Ideally, I would like to compare at least the phase contrast and the darkfield feature among the more simple feature such as plan objectives and Kohler illumination.

The QCC

#7 Post by The QCC » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:53 am

Joe:
What you are proposing is not really fair to Microscopenet or the "big name" company and requires great faith in the delivery capabilities of microscope suppliers.
I would take long odds on one of the "big name" companies getting a microscope to you within the 14 day return period. You could easily end up owning two microscopes.

Olympus have a CX22 microscope that is reasonably priced with lots of accessories. Or the BX43.

I would suggest buying what can afford and upgrading later if necessary.

Oliver

#8 Post by Oliver » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:07 am

Halogen bulbs last a very long time, provided that you turn the microscope on slowly. Mine has been working since 1998. Halogen bulbs can always be exchanged by the user, there is a cover on the base of the microscope. see link below (spanish version). LED maybe not, because the contacts might be soldered. But LED does not have to be exchanged anyway.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/seg ... ochure.pdf

http://www.olympus-europa.com/microscop ... 120201.pdf

LED version manual

http://www.olympus-europa.com/microscop ... 120101.pdf

I could only find the Spanish version of the manual. Page 17 explains how to change the halogen bulb.

http://www.olympus.es/microscopy/en/mic ... _38158.jsp

Oliver
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII