Looking for love all the wrong places?

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Tailspin45

Looking for love all the wrong places?

#1 Post by Tailspin45 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:52 pm

Even with undergraduate minors in chemistry, math, and physics, my life has been more as a science voyeur than a practicing scientist.

Photography and astronomy titillated me for years, but late nights alone in the cold dampened my passion for astrophotography and my 8" Cassegrain spent many lonely nights in the garage.

Nevertheless, seeing things in new ways, metaphorically and literally, still turns me on, so the siren's call of microscopy lured me to endless hours on the web searching for fulfillment. Fortunately, my wife not only tolerates but encourages my vices, understanding that there are far more expensive interests--such as flying and sailing--that I could pursue.

So here I am, excited as a bridegroom, hoping a soon-to-arrive used Krüss trinocular will help consummate my desire for new learning and bring me new pleasures.

Scarodactyl

Re: Looking for love all the wrong places?

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Nice find! They are a bit scarce but have a great reputation. Hope you have a blast with it!

Tailspin45

Re: Looking for love all the wrong places?

#3 Post by Tailspin45 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:37 pm

My bride, without telling me, spent hours and hours researching microscopes and concluded that a good used one would be better than a cheap new one. But, she said, she couldn't find anything affordable except antique monocular scopes.

I independently spent hours and hours and came to the same conclusion, but lucked out and found the Krüss.

While I'm waiting impatiently for it to get here, I'm researching DSLR and iPhone mounts and homebrew polarization techniques and have ordered some good prepared slides to get started.

Lots to learn while I wait. Sure glad I found this forum. It has been a big help already.