Snowy greetings from Finland!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Rorschach

Snowy greetings from Finland!

#1 Post by Rorschach » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:13 pm

I am a middle-aged freshwater (mainly streams) ecologist with experience on macroinvertebrate identification and ecology. At my work we have a top-of-the-line Zeiss imaging system that I have mainly used for teaching identification to students (it's hooked to a projector).

As a hobby photographer, using that system got me interested in microphotography and so I am now buiding a setup at home :) It is based on a Wild M7S stereo microscope with the phototube HV and mounted on a heavy duty Wild double boom stand. I will use my Pentax K5 IIs and later a full frame Pentax K-1 II on it.

I have another Wild, the M5A to use as an identification unit. Also have a cold light unit with two flexible "antennas" to get reflected light illumination. I might get a coaxial light unit as well, if I can find one at a good price. Also interested in building a brightfiled/darkfield illumination system for the microscopes at some point.

I may be able to help with questions related to some of the above topics. For some, I'll be the one hoping to get help :)

billbillt

Re: Snowy greetings from Finland!

#2 Post by billbillt » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:33 pm

WELCOME!!...

BillT

JMK

#3 Post by JMK » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:03 pm

Rorschach
Thanks for offering your expertise

John

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:57 am

Hi again and welcome!

So you don't use high power (compound) scopes for hobby?

For low power (up to 20x NA 0.4) darkfield, you can simply put on a black colored background and shine your lights sideways towards subject.

Rorschach

#5 Post by Rorschach » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:50 pm

zzffnn wrote:Hi again and welcome!

So you don't use high power (compound) scopes for hobby?

For low power (up to 20x NA 0.4) darkfield, you can simply put on a black colored background and shine your lights sideways towards subject.
Hi again indeed! :)

I do have a Beck & Kassel CBS binocular at home but I very seldom use it. I guess I'm more of a stereo type of guy. Rather stereotypical, I suppose... :lol:

However, if someone nearby was in possession of a Wild M20 with the EPI objectives, I'd be curious to get the experience on them and of course on that classic scope model itself.

Thanks for the tip!

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 pm

Hi Rorschach,
welcome aboard! I'm sure your knowledge will be valuable for the forum.
For stero microscopes DIY dark field solutions have been shown before. For low magnifications one get get quite far with a normal compound microscope, matte dark background and light from the side. Here I needed a super quick stack of this especially nice radiolaria material. It was placed in a petri dish onto a piece of motorcylce inner tube. Objective 6,3:1 if I remember right. One Ikea Jansjö from the side, 20 images per second for stacking, and there it is: http://www.mikrohamburg.de/Programm/Vor ... 181117.pdf

With which name can we address you?

Bob

charlie g

#7 Post by charlie g » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:10 pm

Welcome Rorshack. I.m finger lakes/US region and attempting to setup an artificial stream adjacent to an artificial pond habitat. My goal is to establish a population of freshwater mussels. I cheer your formal occupation, freshwaters are such a diverse, such a precious, such a threatened resource on our dear globe. welcome, Charlie guevara

Rorschach

#8 Post by Rorschach » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:34 pm

MicroBob wrote:Hi Rorschach,
welcome aboard! I'm sure your knowledge will be valuable for the forum.
For stero microscopes DIY dark field solutions have been shown before. For low magnifications one get get quite far with a normal compound microscope, matte dark background and light from the side. Here I needed a super quick stack of this especially nice radiolaria material. It was placed in a petri dish onto a piece of motorcylce inner tube. Objective 6,3:1 if I remember right. One Ikea Jansjö from the side, 20 images per second for stacking, and there it is: http://www.mikrohamburg.de/Programm/Vor ... 181117.pdf

With which name can we address you?

Bob
Hi Bob!

Thank you for the valuable tip! I will for sure test it at some point :) For the Wild stereos, the original darkfield bases are not easy to come by or are rather expensive, it seems.

My name is Riku

Rorschach

#9 Post by Rorschach » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:36 pm

charlie g wrote:Welcome Rorshack. I.m finger lakes/US region and attempting to setup an artificial stream adjacent to an artificial pond habitat. My goal is to establish a population of freshwater mussels. I cheer your formal occupation, freshwaters are such a diverse, such a precious, such a threatened resource on our dear globe. welcome, Charlie guevara
Charlie, that sounds interesting! Being able to maintain a stable flow even during dry spells might be one of the challenges, although I am not aware of the rainfall dynamics of your area. Or would the stream be fed water by use of pumps?