Greetings from Denmark and request for help (Bertrand lens)

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Valemk

Greetings from Denmark and request for help (Bertrand lens)

#1 Post by Valemk » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:38 pm

Hi everyone
My name is Valeria and I’m a geochemistry master student. I recently bought myself a leitz orthoplan, so I can continue my project also at home 8-) I really like this microscope, but so far I only have a problem: I need to check the conoscopic interfence pattern of the minerals, but with this microscope I cannot figure out how to do it..
So, the million dollars question is: how can I check if this microscope has a Bertrand lens? And in case it has it already, how/where do I switch it?

Serie nr 895242

Thanks a lot in advance
Attachments
A5581527-4308-4FD1-A3A5-31A231AAB6F2.jpeg
A5581527-4308-4FD1-A3A5-31A231AAB6F2.jpeg (125.15 KiB) Viewed 3541 times

MicroBob

Re: Greetings from Denmark and request for help (Bertrand lens)

#2 Post by MicroBob » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:48 pm

Hi Valeria,

this seems to depend on the tube head you have:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... oplan.html

Here is a repair manual for the actuator of the Bertrand lens - they seem to be a weak point:

http://www.leitz-ortholux.de/forum/Bert ... Repair.pdf

I don't have an Ortoplan and help much.

Bob

gastrotrichman

Re: Greetings from Denmark and request for help (Bertrand lens)

#3 Post by gastrotrichman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:12 pm

I think the Leitz Variotube (mentioned and shown in MicroBob's first attachment) can be added to your Orthoplan between the stand and the head. The Variotube has a Bertrand lens. The Variotube Bertrand lens has the same Achilles heel as the Bertrand lens in the Pol head (shown in MicroBob's second attachment): the wire is frequently broken. A Variotube was recently offered on eBay, but it was pretty expensive and the ad did not reveal whether the Bertrand lens was operable.

I know nothing about mineralogy, but I wonder if a phase telescope would work for your purposes. Not as convenient as a Bertrand lens, but, if it would work, possibly a stop-gap solution until you can obtain a Pol head or a Variotube.
gastrotrichman

Nikon Microphot
Leitz Orthoplan
Wild M8
Bausch & Lomb MicroZoom