Hello From Northern, VA, USA

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
nboyer

Hello From Northern, VA, USA

#1 Post by nboyer » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:17 pm

Hello good people! My name is Norm, I've just recently took up strong interest in microscopy. I remember back in high school using a microscope in biology class, but that was many, many moons ago. I am an avid amateur photographer, enjoy astronomy, so seems to me microscopy would be a logical, if not, common interest.

Looking forward to interacting with and learning from the many knowledgeable folks here. I've already read many of the 'which microscope should I get' threads and still am having some troubles deciding. So, if you see me posting yet another 'which scope should I get,' try not to roll your eyes and say, 'here we go again,' :D . Cheers! -Norm
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25

billbillt

Re: Hello From Northern, VA, USA

#2 Post by billbillt » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi Norm,

WELCOME!... Purchase whichever stand fits your needs.. Do your research and select one that suits YOU...

Regards,
BillT

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:23 pm

Norm, once you have enough posts to message members, I can send you a copy of the 30+ page guide to microscope brands and models we use locally with parents and mentors looking for a good new or used microscope. It highlights the pros and cons of scores of options.

nboyer

#4 Post by nboyer » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:38 pm

Thank you, Bill. Yes, there is much to research. I know how I want to use the scope, but, struggling a little to find the right scope to suit my needs. Cheers!
billbillt wrote:Hi Norm,

WELCOME!... Purchase whichever stand fits your needs.. Do your research and select one that suits YOU...

Regards,
BillT
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25

nboyer

#5 Post by nboyer » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:39 pm

Thank you, Pete. Sounds like a very helpful resource. Cheers! -Norm
PeteM wrote:Norm, once you have enough posts to message members, I can send you a copy of the 30+ page guide to microscope brands and models we use locally with parents and mentors looking for a good new or used microscope. It highlights the pros and cons of scores of options.
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25

JMK

#6 Post by JMK » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:42 am

Norm
Welcome aboard!
Like you, I share astronomy and photography interests. Microscopy is a natural pivot and a cloudy night will no longer put a damper on your scientific curiosity.

Take your time on finding a scope. I had an older one that I had purchased for my son, but I decided to get a newer used unit with more features. I explored Ebay, Craig’s list, and online sellers microscopecentral.com, mundaymicroscopes.com

I ended buying a used Leica from microscopecentral.com (I.Miller in Philadelphia area). I drove to inspect the scope, and brought it home after a nice hands-on going over from top to bottom with Scott, one of the owners. Am very happy.

All the best,
John

nboyer

#7 Post by nboyer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:50 am

Thank you, John, for the warm welcome and suggestions for possible establishments for purchase. I believe I have narrowed it down to a used Olympus CX22 LED. Man, I thought the oculars for my telescopes were expensive, nothing compared to a mid-grade objective upgrade :o . Cheers. -Norm
JMK wrote:Norm
Welcome aboard!
Like you, I share astronomy and photography interests. Microscopy is a natural pivot and a cloudy night will no longer put a damper on your scientific curiosity.

Take your time on finding a scope. I had an older one that I had purchased for my son, but I decided to get a newer used unit with more features. I explored Ebay, Craig’s list, and online sellers microscopecentral.com, mundaymicroscopes.com

I ended buying a used Leica from microscopecentral.com (I.Miller in Philadelphia area). I drove to inspect the scope, and brought it home after a nice hands-on going over from top to bottom with Scott, one of the owners. Am very happy.

All the best,
John
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25